Dutch Oven Recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My experience tells me that, other than campfire / smoker use, you will get more variety of cooking with a ceramic coated pot. But that is stove top only.
We have a ceramic DO and use it mostly in the oven, rarely stovetop. Frankly I wish we had a regular non enameled. It's not as "non-stick" as regular CI and if you brown or sear something it's a bear to clean...

That is a nice one.

I bought one of these from Amazon several years ago. Saved $10.00

Yep. Amazon has it for less. I found another site that has it for $38 and free shipping. But the site seemed a bit sketchy.
My experience tells me that, other than campfire / smoker use, you will get more variety of cooking with a ceramic coated pot. But that is stove top only.

True. The enameled ones aren't campfire/high heat friendly and still need a good dose of oil for non stick cooking.

Do you have a preference on if you want one with handles or one with bail handle? Like this? Something to think about

20220123_131910.jpg

Ryan

Reactions: MileHighSmokerGirl
We have a ceramic DO and use it mostly in the oven, rarely stovetop. Frankly I wish we had a regular non enameled. It's not as "non-stick" as regular CI and if you brown or sear something it's a bear to clean...

The cleanup is a big part of my thinking on ceramic. That and cooking with acidic things like tomatoes.

I don't have room for as much cookware as I'd like. My ceramic DO is also my pasta cooker.

acidic things Are not a problem with ceramic coated CI. It's a problem with regular CI.
Sorry for the confusion. That is what I was trying to say. Cooking acidic things, and water, strips the seasoning from black iron.

I picked this up today on Wal-Mart’s website on clearance for $51 shipped. That price includes the tax too.

6.5 quart Lodge enameled cast iron
View attachment 523227View attachment 523228
Congratulations Smoker Girl. That's a fine looking pot, and a good price.

I know she bought one now, just another idea.

I know not everyone is as luckly as me and have a family full of hand me downs. Andother advantage of CI, they never wear out.

But you should check your paper for estate sales, Lots of folks don't know whaat they have andd in an estate sale they may have some bundled or just wahat you need and as long as you know what need sales for you can get good deals.

The same woyth pawn shops. they usually have so much they paid pennies for, that the new prices plus 10% LOL just talk 'em down.

Just some places I have seen had CI and sometimes cheap, I guess if you do yard sales you'd find some too.

Just another option orfour. LOL

If anyone chooses the Le Creuset Dutch oven search for a outlet store in your vicinity.
Much cheaper if you're lucky enough to find one.
We roll with Lodge. Best value.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky