Dutch Oven Recommendations for Sourdough Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i preheat my 7.5qt lodge enameled dry all the time.. the whole thing is enameled so i figure what the diff with little oil in it.

i preheat my 7.5qt lodge enameled dry all the time.. the whole thing is enameled so i figure what the diff with little oil in it.

I think our enameled DO is a 6.5 Qt, and several sources mentioned the possibility of cracking the enamel when preheating dry, and sure enough ours does have some fine cracking on the inside. My next size is a standard finish 10 Qt or 12 Qt, so that's too big, and we tried a couple of loaves in a round Magnalite aluminum roaster which did not perform as well as cast iron. Another option is an older Rommertopf, which is un-glazed.... but we have not used it for bread. Yet.

i've not seen fine cracks. and i understood not to preheat on stove as it does not heat equal like oven does.. i just dont understand how the inside and outside are same enamel and only inside pot gets cracks and not lid or sides{which cant get oiled} or the outside enamel....i even do my enameled fry pan for cornbread..

I’ve preheated my Cuisinart and Lodge several times with no issues. Made a couple loaves of bread last week in this (3qt) as my Lodge is way too big.
F43BE5AF-311F-4381-8986-394BB1AAC7CF.jpeg

Reactions: forktender
This is the one I use for bread: Amazon.com: Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Double Dutch Oven With Loop Handles, 5 qt: Cast Iron Dutch Oven: Kitchen & Dining
I like it because I can put the bread on the lid and place the inverted bottom over it - makes it easier to score.

View attachment 476486View attachment 476487
Awesome looking bread. I use the same pot that I bought off Amazon as well.
Which flour are you using can you share your recipe or is it printed anywhere we can see it?
Thank you.
Dan

Last edited:
bregent bregent hey mine don't ever get that dark. I am using straight white flour. cooking in the same Dutch oven at 450 not preheated. I tried both preheated and not preheated and saw no difference. I cook for 45-50 minutes and then remove the lid till brown, but they are more golden. Any thoughts on why not darker like yours?
Try proofing them a little longer if that doesn't do it try a malted flour like Central Milling Company makes amazing flour. Buy the 50lb sack and share it with a friend.

i've not seen fine cracks. and i understood not to preheat on stove as it does not heat equal like oven does.. i just dont understand how the inside and outside are same enamel and only inside pot gets cracks and not lid or sides{which cant get oiled} or the outside enamel....i even do my enameled fry pan for cornbread..

The reason is because heating dry allows the surface temperatures to be greater than if you are cooking food it in. This can be greater than what the enamel can withstand, both inside and out.

I originally was using a le creuset dutch oven for bread baking, but stopped once I saw that enamel was becoming seriously discolored.

well ive been heating dry for a long time so if alls good why stop..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky