Dutch Oven Recipe: Cherry Chocolate Lava Cake

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DutchOvenPro

Original poster
Feb 9, 2018
This Dutch Oven Cherry Chocolate Lava Cake might look like a mess but trust me this is the best mess you have ever tried. In an hour you will have the most amazing dessert you have ever tried on any camping trip. You and this dump style cake will be under the spotlight today. Everyone will love it. They will ask for the recipe. It will become a camping tradition and everyone will be expecting it next time.

Dutch Oven Cherry Chocolate Lava Cake

Course Dessert
Cuisine American
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes

Ingredients
  • 1 can cherry pie filling
  • 1 box chocolate cake mix
  • 1 can lemon-lime soda
  • 1 bag chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Prepare the charcoal.
  2. Line the dutch oven with a liner or spray with cooking oil.
  3. Open the pie filling and dump it into the bottom of the dutch oven.
  4. Layer the chocolate cake mix on top of the cherry filling.
  5. Open the soda and slowly pour over the cake mix. It will foam, but shouldn't overflow if you go slowly.
  6. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the soda.
  7. Put the lid on the dutch oven.
  8. Place 16 charcoal on the lid of the oven.
  9. Make a circle of 8 charcoal that will serve as the base heat for baking the cake.
  10. Place the dutch oven over the circle and let the cake bake for approximately an hour. It might be more or less depending on the size of your dutch oven and the heat of the coals.
  11. Remove the dutch oven from the coals and enjoy.
Enjoy more recipes at: http://dutchoven.pro/recipes/

Attachments

• dutch oven recipe - cherry chocolate lava cake.jpg
    dutch oven recipe - cherry chocolate lava cake.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 63
Definitely going to try this. I'll have to modify cook method to work on the Big Green Egg. Thinking I'll get the Egg and Dutch oven lid to 350 degrees. Mix the the cake together, put on the Egg and cover the Dutch oven with the hot lid. And let the magic happen.

Thanks for posting the recipe
Glad you liked it. Would love if you can post a pic. :-)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky