Dumb Q what is difference between salami and summer sauasage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tprice

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
I have just got into this summer sausage thing using venison. It has turned out to be a great way to put to use 

all the deer burger I have in the freezer every year and family loves it.

I have been using the High Mtn pre mixed packs so far and is pretty good.

I have also picked up some pre-mixed packs from B&P and couple others on the net just to try

and have also picked up a couple of salami kits

I have also been on youtube and others sites and really so no difference between the summer sausage

and salami ingredients or methods.

Got a friend that keeps asking when I am going to do salami, not sure he would know the difference either he just thinks

I need to make a batch of salami, but I am curious to what the difference is

I think salami is dry cured which takes 70 to 80 days where summer sausage is is brought to temp and ready to eat.

I never really thought about it but if I had to guess I'd say they're both sausages but the salami is a fermented, air dried sausage, and the summer sausage is a cured cooked sausage. Also SS is one variety of sausage, like Italian or balogna, and salami is any air dried sausage.

It's too early for me to be thinking, anybody else got an opinion on the difference?

Well that was what I thought that is was cured different

THANKS

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky