Duck Breast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Put this breast in the cure on 5/22/23 for 13 days then hung in the chamber on 6/6/23. Pulled this last night after running some errands. Thanks again to LoydB LoydB for sharing his process. Weight loss had slowed to a crawl and looked to stop at only 18% loss after 3.5 months so here we are. The fat was almost 100% of the exposed surface so I'm sure that's what limited the weight loss.

20230927_183432.jpg

Smells wonderful. The mold 600 won't grow on the fat, but you could still the scent on the meat when I pulled it from the chamber. Couple shots from either side.

20230927_183741.jpg

20230927_183755.jpg

Cut shot. The camera doesn't do the color justice.

20230927_184010.jpg

The taste is incredible. Fennel was perfect... not overpowering but right there. The fat is ridiculously decadent and almost melts away on the tongue. I am beyond happy with this so the other breast I froze is coming out to thaw today when I get home.

20230927_184133.jpg

Vac sealed the halves and will slice one of the pieces up this weekend to share with friends. Thanks for looking!

Put this breast in the cure on 5/22/23 for 13 days then hung in the chamber on 6/6/23. Pulled this last night after running some errands. Thanks again to LoydB LoydB for sharing his process. Weight loss had slowed to a crawl and looked to stop at only 18% loss after 3.5 months so here we are. The fat was almost 100% of the exposed surface so I'm sure that's what limited the weight loss.

View attachment 677233

Smells wonderful. The mold 600 won't grow on the fat, but you could still the scent on the meat when I pulled it from the chamber. Couple shots from either side.

View attachment 677234
View attachment 677235

Cut shot. The camera doesn't do the color justice.

View attachment 677236

The taste is incredible. Fennel was perfect... not overpowering but right there. The fat is ridiculously decadent and almost melts away on the tongue. I am beyond happy with this so the other breast I froze is coming out to thaw today when I get home.

View attachment 677237

Vac sealed the halves and will slice one of the pieces up this weekend to share with friends. Thanks for looking!
Beautiful! Looks absolutely outstanding. I love duck. The king of poultry in my opinion.

Reactions: mr_whipple
Looks great Mr. W. Nicely done!!! I never realized that ducks had that much fat on them. It's a real eye opener for me.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: mr_whipple
Beautiful! Looks absolutely outstanding. I love duck. The king of poultry in my opinion.
I love roasted duck but just don't do it as often as I should.

Looks great Mr. W. Nicely done!!! I never realized that ducks had that much fat on them. It's a real eye opener for me.

Point for sure
Chris
Loads of fat!! That's what keeps them from freezing to death swimming in ice cold waters. Keeps "shrinkage" to a minimum 🤣

You nailed that.
Thanks! I followed your lead.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky