drying out clumpy spices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dahidalg

Original poster
Mar 16, 2023
Hi, I am new here. I have a bunch of bbq rubs that got clumpy because I live in a very humid environment.
Is there a way to restore them, I tried using a grinder but since the spices are not dry enough, it does not work. Most of my spices cotain sugar for bbq comps. Thanks!

Reactions: JLeonard
Break apart as much as you can. Place on a cookie sheet. Place in oven at 170 with the door cracked open. Once dry. Use a mortar/pestle. Or in a bowl with a spoon. To break back into a powder. Put in mason jars that you can vacuum seal. Or vacuum seal in bags in small amounts. If you have a dehydrator. Use that. Works even better.

Welcome Home, if the rubs are home made switch to Brownulated brown sugar, it wont clump up because its dry, I cant tell any difference in a taste test , Domino's is the maker, I became diabetic a number of years ago but had great luck with it before I stopped using much sugar. not sure why I don't read more about it but word of mouth affects a lot of good products, I know if I was selling a rub with brown sugar in it that would be my choice.

I have that issue a lot since i keep quite a bit of my seasoning out in my shop where i grill, smoke aand griddle. Its a un insulated pole building and well moisture gets in. Ive done the oven thing mentioned above by Steve H and have also put it in one of my food dehydrators. Ive found that even with drying it out, sometimes you still have to throw it in a processor or blender or whatever to get it back down to powder status!

Reactions: dahidalg
In the future... If your using brown sugar.... Dry it first in the oven before mixing with other spices... and then use the silica packs Jake mentioned

Reactions: dahidalg
Hi, I am new here. I have a bunch of bbq rubs that got clumpy because I live in a very humid environment.
Is there a way to restore them, I tried using a grinder but since the spices are not dry enough, it does not work. Most of my spices cotain sugar for bbq comps. Thanks!
I see all the replies for a problem I have when I make Jeff's rubs. If Jeff gets to these threads, I'd like to know how he eliminate the problem.
Thanks.

Been there, done that. I keep rubs and spices prone to turning into concrete either in the fridge or freezer and it has eliminated the issue.

I see all the replies for a problem I have when I make Jeff's rubs. If Jeff gets to these threads, I'd like to know how he eliminate the problem.
Thanks.
They're great answers to your questions. If you want to hear from Jeff. That's fine.

They're great answers to your questions. If you want to hear from Jeff. That's fine.
Since he sells his rubs, I thought that whatever he does to eliminate the clumps might shed a different light on the subject.

I didn't mean to offend. His rubs are good. But. Different climates call for different storage ideas. That is what I was pointing out.
I have yet to find any commercial or home made rub that won't turn to concrete if stored in a humid environment and I expect Jeff's premade stuff would do the same as the rest.

I have yet to find any commercial or home made rub that won't turn to concrete if stored in a humid environment and I expect Jeff's premade stuff would do the same as the rest.
Yup. The only thing that has worked for me is vac sealing in a pint jar. And storing in a cool shaded area.

Reactions: DougE
I can't speak to Jeff's ingredients but some companies use anti caking agents with the most common being food grade silicone dioxide. You could also consider food grade dessicant packs dropped in with the rub instead of as an ingredient in the blend.

I didn't mean to offend. His rubs are good. But. Different climates call for different storage ideas. That is what I was pointing out.
Wasn't offensive at all. I live in Southern CA, but when I used to buy rubs, none ever clumped up. I like this forum because there's always a lot of friendly and helpful commenting -- including yours.

Reactions: Steve H
Sugars seem to be the biggest culprit for clumping or in the ones I have made and bought, some have oils that start drying out no matter how they are stored so using them up or busting them are the only way to deal with it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky