Drybag Steak Contest - 5 Drybag Steak Starter Kits to be Given Away!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TulsaJeff

Smoke Whisperer
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
Jun 28, 2005
Tulsa, OK
88e4c406_drybagsteak_web_ad_300x250_v1.0.jpg
I am pleased to announce our newest sponsored contest with Drybag Steak which will run through the month of December.

For those of you not familiar with aging beef, Drybag Steak has created a way to allow you to dry age your own steaks and other beef at home in your refrigerator to bring out that special flavor that beef is supposed to have.  I think that's just plain nifty!

Drybag Steak enables steak lovers worldwide to create the ultimate dry aged steak any where.  All you need is subprimal or roast cut of whole muscle meat like a ribeye, strip loin or sirloin and a refrigerator with excellent air circulation.  Because this material releases moisture and enables the safe exchange of oxygen, you can dry age safely with excellent consistency of flavor.  

For those who can remember,  dry aged beef used to be the norm.  Traditional 'dry world' aging of beef allowed carcasses to hang in a meat locker for a few weeks after slaughter to become more tender and flavorful. During dry-aging, moisture evaporates from the muscle creating a mature beef flavor. The meat's natural enzymes break down the fibrous, connective tissue in the muscle thereby tenderizing it. While traditional 'dry world' aging practices have a positive impact on flavor and tenderness, today they require specialized facilities to maintain modern requirements for food safety and consistent quality.

The 'wet world' came with the popularization of plastics in the 1950's.  With advances in plastics and vacuum packaging, processing and storage became easier and most cost-effective. In today's modern processing plants, the carcass is broken down and vacuum-sealed in moisture impermeable bags. Beef can be "wet aged" in a vacuum-sealed bag in its own juices for improved tenderness, but it will be missing the characteristic dry aged depth of flavor and rich texture.

With the advent of nanotechnology and inventions like Gortex and Tyvek, we have seen how we can protect an environment, but also allow it to breath.  Drybag Steak technology allows beef to age in a clean environment and still achieve the same buttery succulent taste and tender texture as traditional open-air dry aging.

How to Enter the Contest:

To enter this contest, simply post your own personal steak recipes and/or best methods for preparing steak. Five winners will be chosen at random from the entries and each will receive a Drybag steak starter kit.

f5f2d0bd_starter_kit_voltage.jpg

Notes:
  • Multiple entries are fine and may increase your chance of winning
  • No copy/pasted recipes from other sources. It is ok if your method is similar to another one.
  • Pictures are ok but not required
I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with so go ahead and start posting!!

Last edited:
Marinated Grilled Flank Steak

2 Pounds Flank Steak or Round Steak

1/4 Cup Yoshidas Sauce

1/4 Cup French or Western Dressing

1/4 Cup Water

2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce

1 Clove Fresh Garlic

1 Tbsp CBP

1 tsp Salt

Mix liquid ingredients and dry ingredients in a glass bowl thoroughly.

Place steak(s) in a gallon Ziploc bag and add marinade and in the fridge overnight.  Turn 2-3 times.

Before grilling, remove steaks fro the bag, but save the marinade.

Place marinade in sauce pan heat on stove top to reduce mixture to thicken.

Light grill and let warm up on high.

Sear steaks on both sides for approximately 2 minutes on High Heat.

Take reduced mixture from stove top.  Coat both sides of the steaks with a brush or just dunk steaks into pan.

Turn down grill to low heat and return steaks to grill.

After a minute or so repeat applying the reduction to both sides of the steaks.

Finish steaks on grill to medium or your own preference.

This marinade is great for lesser cuts of steaks or even roasts.  You can add lime juice for a little extra kick.

Enjoy!

Todd

Simple and delicious.

1. Gas or charcoal grill.

2. Oil grate.

3. Heat grill to 500F.

4. Sprinkle Sea Salt and Course ground pepper and drizzle some EVOO on both sides of a Ribeye steak.  I like to press the salt and pepper into the meat.

5. When the grill is at temp, grill steak for 2 minutes, turn over (use tongs) and grill for an additional 2 minutes.

6. Remove from grill and loosely wrap in foil and let it rest for 2 - 3 minutes.

Enjoy.

0baf1692_411_PIC_0766_1.jpg

7afadbdf_411_PIC_0768_1.jpg

94536703_411_PIC_0776_1.jpg
7f23fbd8_411_PIC_0778_1.jpg

Princess Sweet & Salty Steak Salad

(all ingredients listed below are Per Serving, multiplies easy!!)

For the Meat -

5 oz sirloin, well-trimmed, pounded to 1/2" thick

1 TB brown sugar

1 TB molasses

1/4 cup soy sauce

1 tsp Good Grainy Brown Mustard

1/2 tsp kosher salt

Splash red wine

Stir up the sugar, molasses, soy, wine & mustard. Smear onto all sides of the steak, wrap in plastic wrap and pop it into the fridge.

For the Greens -

2 cups peppery greens (argula, frisee, red leaf)

1/4 cup thawed frozen shelled edamame

Toss together.

For the Dressing -

1 tsp brown sugar

1 tsp Good Grainy Brown Mustard

1/2 tsp kosher salt

2 TB Red wine vinegar

1 TB Olive oil

Heat grill to medium high, oil your grates and sear steak to your liking (4 min per side)

Slice on a grooved cutting board against the grain. Place steak artfully on greens. Drain juices from board into dressing, whisk briskly and pour over.

Thick ribeyes out of the fridge to warm up a bit.

Salt,pepper and garlic both sides.

Chimney full of lump into the BGE.

Crank it up to 700.

2 minutes each side. Close the vents for 3 minutes.

Rest them a few minutes.

Simple,quick and Delicious.

Last edited:
At my dad's store, we would have beef loin sales several times during the year; dad would bring in extra hindquarters to do so.  However, it was more in conjunction to making dried beef as the rounds were seamed out for such and we'd sell the loins on sale.  However, invariably we'd end up with a pile of hips; this is where the sirloins are cut off one end of the loin and T-bone and porterhouse off the other end; what was in between was the hip sirloin; where the flatbone rounds out and the T-bone elongates and becomes a very wasty steak: (also known as a pinbone steak)

17aeadbb_pinbonesirloin.jpg

Today they are commonly merchandised as a tailless porterhouse with the hipbone and tail cut off, but 'back then' it was not an acceptable practice.  The hip section was about 3 times thicker than the steak pictured above.   We'd end up with many of these and of course we ate what was left, not what was good to sell.  Dad would leave the hips in the cooler until the end of the sale (2 weeks).  They'd be all dark and dried out, almost black, sometimes with mold on them.  He'd bone them out into NY strips and tenderloin pieces, then slice on the slicer into 1/8th inch steaks, bring them upstairs and get out the cast iron frying pan.  This was no ordinary pan, he had this custom-made for him by a local welder.  It had angled sides, a handle on each end, and spanned both burners on the gas stove.  He'd get the pan hot, sprinkle it with salt, brown a little butter in it then lay down those little steaks (he'd cut the NY strips in half so they'd all be similar sized) and sizzle them on each side for a few seconds... once they were laid down it was time to flip then pulled off, batch after batch until they were all done, piled high on a huge platter - tender, aged, buttery, melt-in-your-mouth steaks that us kids (and them!) devoured!  But, it was the dry-aging that made the difference, albeit incidentally (but not unintentionally... dad absolutely knew what he was doing to those hips!).  I can fully attest to the results of dry aging!

Reactions: squirrel
(2) 16 oz. Dry-aged Ribeye Steaks

*Marinade

5 Tbs. Olive Oil

1/2 Fresh Lemon, juice

1/2 Clove Shallot, minced

1 tsp. Tamari

1 tsp. Natural Nakano Rice Vinegar

1/2 tsp. Penzey's Mignonette Pepper (Tellicherry Black Pepper, Muntak White Pepper, Canadian Coriander)

1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder

1/4 tsp. Roasted Onion Powder

1/4 tsp. Ground Celery Seed

1/4 tsp. Brown Mustard Seed

1/8 tsp. Ground Sumac Berry

-Kosher Salt

Combine seasonings in platter and mix (minus kosher salt) and allow to sit cooled overnight or approximately eight hours. Placing each cut of meat on platter individually coat all sides and then place both in plastic bag or wrapped in tin foil together with marinade refrigerated for 2-3 hours prior to cook. 30-40 minutes before cooking, remove steaks from refrigerator and bring to about room temperature.

Season to taste with kosher salt.

With indirect heat away from coals (or in the smoke chamber of barbecue cooker) smoke meat atop GrillGrate grates for 20-25 minutes at low temperature. Use equal amounts pecan and almond wood chunks. About three each medium-sized. Or, the smoke wood or your own preference. Add additional smaller chunks to coals.

Once a good smoke level is achieved, move aluminum grates directly above flame and grill flipping steaks at 2-3 minute intervals until desired doneness (or slightly less).

Loosely wrap each steak individually or together in foil allowing to rest for 10-12 minutes.

*Garnish with stuffed celery spears

4 oz. Cream Cheese

1/8 C. Kalamata Olives, diced

2 short stalks Celery

2 sprigs fresh Parsley

Gently fold together cream cheese, olives. Fill celery sleeves with cream cheese filling, sprinkle with sweet paprika. Top each with parsley.

Serve with your favorite side dish and/or salad.

Last edited:
Reactions: squirrel
All Beef Tube Steak on a bun:

Ingredients:

4 all beef Hot Dogs (Must be BEEF !)

Yellow Mustard

4 Hot Dog Rolls

Plenty of Beer

Build a small wood fire in your back yard, or your neighbors yard, when he's not home, if you don't like him.

Find a couple of Green sticks, with a "Y" on one end, heavy enough to not bend with two hot dogs on each one.

Whittle the "Y" ends of the sticks, to fit in the hot dogs, without gutting them.

Thread 2 Hot Dogs on each of the two sticks.

Hold the Hot Dogs over the fire, occasionally holding both sticks in one hand, while you're slurping on your cold beer.

This is the hard part---Don't spill any beer!

This is the point where the Hot Dogs magically change into Tube Steaks.

When the Tube Steaks are a bit browned & bubbling, remove from stick to plate.

Apply Mustard on both sides of each roll, and drop a Tube Steak into each roll.

Give two to your Dinner Partner (Hopefully your wife!), sit down, eat, drink, and be merry!

Bear

9bcfa697_IMG_5613.jpg

Grilled Whole Beef Tenderloin

Tie tenderloin every two inches to hold shape. Melt 1/4 cup apricot jam and 3 Tbsp. butter and brush over whole tenderloin. Roll in course peppercorns and sprinkle with sea salt. Sear over hot coals then move to indirect heat until internal temp. reaches 125F. Remove from grill and lightly tent with foil for 10 minutes. Slice and serve with your favorite side dish.

I don't know who's judging but there's allot of cooking left to do to try all this.  I'm taking notes to try whatever I see here because...I LUHUHUve a good steak!  For that matter, BEEF.  I've gotten to a point where - if I'm down to my last slices of smoked brisket from the freezer, I wig out like a cigarette smoker who just ran out while stuck in LA traffic.

I don't put allot of effort into recipes for steak - other than they should be grilled - PERIOD.  At most, I may marinade them a mix of of some Captain Morgans Rum and half as much Worcestershire sauce.  Otherwise, during the grilling, I may just salt & pepper to taste, maybe some lemon pepper.  If I remember, I'll sprinkle on some onion and garlic powder.

What I prefer is how I grill it.  Some nice, thick, marbly rib-eye, NY strip or Porterhouse (my favorite) steaks sit at ready while the coals in my Webber Performer ash over. I'll spread the coals only to underlay half the cooking area (equal parts direct and indirect heat). 

I'm a freak for beef and...mesquite.  So, I'll have a bag of chips (not chunks).  I'll spread several handfuls of DRY chips over those coals.  In seconds I have a blazing inferno of flamed up chips.  Throw the steaks on the grill directly in the flames.  Sear the steaks for a minute or so on each side but avoid burning the steaks or your eyebrows.

After searing, move the steaks to the indirect heat side of the grill.  Sprinkle both sides of the steaks with your spices of choice. Replenish the mesquite chips if necessary.  Let those chips get flaring up again, then slam the lid on.  The flames will quickly die down to a rolling smoke.

I like a steak medium rare to meduim, so I'll leave them in there from ten to fifteen minutes.  Before removing the steaks, I'll slap them back over direct heat for another minute or so to glaze the steaks a bit in their own juices,  The heat should've subsided and the chips should've burned out, so flare up would be minimal.

Once done grilling, transfer the steaks to a foiled pan, cover with more foil and allow to rest for ten to fifteen minutes.

Oh, I almost forgot!!!  I love bell pepper with steaks (I guess that's where peppered steak gets it name in Chinese dishes).  If I have have any, I'll throw a few slices into the grilling to give them a slight char.  During my meal, I'll cut a sliver of pepper to go with each bite of steak.

Steak Burger

Grind equal parts ribeye steak and chuck eye steak using a large/medium grind plate to equal 2 lbs. Melt 2 Tbsp. clarified butter, let cool slightly and poor over ground steaks and toss to combine. Place in freezer for 15 minutes. Toss thoroughly and grind again using smaller plate. Place in freezer again for 15 minutes. Remove from freezer, add 2 Tbsp. ice water, mix gently, form into 4 1/2 pound patties. Salt and pepper and place on a hot grill until desired tenderness.

12cb1a21_agreatburger.jpg

Dry Aged Filet Mignon

A nice, thick cut dry aged filet mignon needs nothing more than a screaming hot bed of coals and a little salt and pepper. Grill marks optional.
icon_mrgreen.gif

7960ea30_IMG_7187.jpg

Great Steaks

1) Get steak from store

2) Heat up grill properly

3) Season steak with Salt and Pepper or montreal steak spice

4) Let sit out until at room temp(ish) - 10-20 min

5) Place meat on hot grill and sear 2-5 min depending on thickness

6) Dont flip until the meat comes off the grill clean

7) Flip meat to other side and sear, preferably on a part of the grill that is hot (not previously having items on it)

8) Take meat off grill when at correct doness (either by temp or various test methods)

9) Turn heat down a bit if you need a more well done steak

10) Take steak off grill, on to a plate, wrap in tinfoil and cover / put in microwave

11) Let steak rest for 5 min.

12) Cut steak on a diagonal for maximum ease of cutting / tenderness.

13) Put steak slice in mouth and chew.

Last edited:
Let it be known that I'm the moderator of the forum for DrybagSteak so I am disqualifying myself from the contest. Just the same being a very satisfied user of Drybags for over a year now I can attest to the wonderful results of dry aging sub-primals with their product. To date I have aged meats for 21, 28, 35 and 45 days. The longer the better.

I do want to share my steak cooking method as it allows the dry aged meat taste to shine for itself - not covered with heavy duty spices or marinades.

First I select a couple dry aged steaks such as these.

Next I dust the meat with Morton canning salt which is very fine. Then I place the individual steaks in a new food save plastic bag. Squeeze out the air and seal with a twisty. Then place the steaks in a large bowl and fill it with hot tap water. Most hot water heaters run around 115 to 120°. I keep track of the water temp for the next hour and change the water when it gets below 100°. Typically I'll change out the water 3 or 4 times during the hour.

Then on to a hot 650 to 700° fire on my ceramic cooker called a Big Green Egg for a mere 45 seconds turn 90° for another 45 seconds. Flip and do the 45 and 45 and I'm done! That produces mighty fine medium rare steaks and nice warm red centers - not the usual dark reddish/blue cool centers since the hour in the "hot tub" has brought the temperature of the meat up close to 100° internal before even going on the fire.

Help!!! why don't my pictures show up???

icon_cool.gif

Now my steak recipe is very easy and delicious to me and the wife at least. You start with good 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" Rib-eye steak bone in preferable.  I just leave let the steak acclimate on the counter for at least 15-20 minutes. then season it with salt, pepper, and some garlic powder. then heat to grill to the highest I can get it maybe 500* or so. then sear the steak for 5 minutes a side and then turn the heat down and finish. Then bring the steaks in to let them rest. after a couple of minutes rub the steak with some softened Gorgonzola cheese and let melt into the steak.

Let it be known that I'm the moderator of the forum for DrybagSteak so I am disqualifying myself from the contest. Just the same being a very satisfied user of Drybags for over a year now I can attest to the wonderful results of dry aging sub-primals with their product. To date I have aged meats for 21, 28, 35 and 45 days. The longer the better.

I do want to share my steak cooking method as it allows the dry aged meat taste to shine for itself - not covered with heavy duty spices or marinades.

Next I dust the meat with Morton canning salt which is very fine. Then I place the individual steaks in a new food save plastic bag. Squeeze out the air and seal with a twisty. Then place the steaks in a large bowl and fill it with hot tap water. Most hot water heaters run around 115 to 120°. I keep track of the water temp for the next hour and change the water when it gets below 100°. Typically I'll change out the water 3 or 4 times during the hour.

Then on to a hot 650 to 700° fire on my ceramic cooker called a Big Green Egg for a mere 45 seconds turn 90° for another 45 seconds. Flip and do the 45 and 45 and I'm done! That produces mighty fine medium rare steaks and nice warm red centers - not the usual dark reddish/blue cool centers since the hour in the "hot tub" has brought the temperature of the meat up close to 100° internal before even going on the fire.

Why not try just putting them right in through the forum, instead of going through photobucket. It works great!

Click on the thing to the right of the "right arrow" (in the reply box) that says "insert image" when you put your cursor on it.

I'd like to see your pics!

Bear

Last edited:
I get a couple of good ribeyes and let them sit out for about 20 minutes.

In the meatime the grill is heating up. 4 burners at 20K BTU with the lid now to get it nice and hot

I season them with Salt and Pepper and a little Garlic.

Put the steaks on the grill for about 2 minutes then move them over to another part of the grill where I have a bed of rosemary that I put on the grill just before I move the steaks. Close the lid and give them two more minutes.

Flip the steaks over and put them back to the first spot for 4 minutes.

Top with some garlic butter and serve.  

The missing pictures are:

5c8eab89_IMG_1653.jpg
fe5e23ed_IMG_1663.jpg
0971b3ff_IMG_1645.jpg

Squirrel's Country Fried Steak

When trimming a whole beef tenderloin I usually have a few small pieces left. I don't want them to go to waste so I will either use them for kabobs, tips, or country fried steak. I take the piece and place it under a piece of plastic wrap and pound it out. Then, mix together flour, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper. Dredge in flour and fry in a cast iron skilled with about an inch of vegetable oil heated to 360F. Top with sawmill gravy and enjoy.

2012278b_IMG_5726.jpg

d4ad2944_IMG_5730.jpg

6877a71a_IMG_5744.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky