dry sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

starfighter51

Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
Orlando Florida
Hi, Jim here. I've tried to make sausage three times now and it comes out dry. I need some guidance here !. I eat some but most go to the dogs.  help.

From your post all I can come up with is that you need to add more moisture to your sausage, or subtract some dryness. Try adding a few more details like what recipe you're using, whether you're smoking it and how, what kind of grill, smoker or equipment you're using etc...

There are a lot of reasons for dry sausages, most of which involve too little fat and/or too high a cooking temperature. Give more details and someone will be able to help you.

smoke on TMLE Brinkman, I'm a complete novice never made sausage before don't have a recipe that's why I'm here looking to the experts for help.

Too low a fat content is a major reason for sausages turning out too dry. Also as Mdboatbum says you could also add more moisture before you stuff the casings. I usually add a good glug* or two of either wine or water in my mix before stuffing.

* A glug is an SI measurement of wine volume. 5 sips = 1 slurp; 5 slurps = 1 glug; 2 glugs = 1 glass; 3 glasses = 1 bottle (in our house anyway!)

biggrin.gif

hey starfighter,

so i'm going to assume you have a kitchenaid w/ the sausage attachment, w/ a 3/16, plate.

if you want to lesrn how to make sausage, start out simple and basic, 1st, get a scale, preferably a digital scale which measure to .00 ounces, this way you can train your eyes and palate to think in terms of pounds and ounces.

also, start out w/ pork shoulder, it has the right fat content and it absorbs flavor well. so, cut up the 3# of shoulder into 1inch cubes, so they go thru the openong of ur mixer delivery pan.

start out w/ a simple recipe, for instance if you have a sage bush or rosemary bush in your backyard, just go get some, rinse it off, cut it up w/ a knife or scissors, incorporate w/ meat. for sage in 3# of pork use like 10 sage leaves, chop them up,add to meat.

or even easier, if you have some peppercorns wiegh out about a 1/4 oz., or for simplicity sake, use 1t, w/ a knife rough chop the pcorns,add to 3# of pork, add .75oz, or 2T salt, add 12 oz of water and a shot of whiskey, mix it together, try to coat all the meat w/ the pcorn, salt whiskey mixture, run thru the grinder, and make patties, also keep a note book and record all your weights, i weigh everything, that way you can capture the info, but more importantly u r training your hand, eye, palate coordination, good luck.

Welcome to the forums Jim. Your dryness issue could be a number of things. Please share the recipe you used and how you cooked them. with out that info it's just a guessing game for us. And if you could post some pic's of the sausage it also could help.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky