Dry Ribs - I think I like them now

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FillYerHands

Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Kennesaw, GA USA
I have been blessed to eat ribs at some of the most famous joints in America. From Raleigh to Atlanta to Memphis to Amarillo to Kansas City, I've eaten a lot. I must say, I am quite a fan of Memphis style wet ribs. I spent some time a few years ago often visiting Memphis on business, and I ate at Corky's, Rendezvous, and Interstates quite frequently. And the whole time, I only ordered wet ribs.

Now, I have had dry ribs, and probably the best I've had were from Dreamland, from the the original joint in Tuscaloosa. I admit, I didn't order them dry, the person paying for them did, and I wasn't going to argue with him. They were great, but I put sauce on them, which probably told me something.

When I make my own, I have almost always done ribs by smoking for 3 hours, mopping as I go, and then wrapping and cooking til done. But this week my son told me he would like to try dry ribs, so I decided to give it a shot.

Spoiler alert - they turned out pretty good.

Baby back pork ribs, rub was kosher salt and black pepper, with brown sugar and chili powder added. I also added dashes of cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and paprika. This was added liberally as soon as I started the fire, and let sit while the fire grew, about 30 minutes. I used oak to start then hickory the rest of the way. Cooked at 250F for about 5 hours, let rest 30 minutes, and cut and served with no sauce.

Turned out rather well, I think I will keep at it.

Dry Ribs.jpg

Your ribs looks great! Did you apply more rub at the end of the smoke? I haven't eaten at Corky's in years. Used to have one here in Knoxville but I do remember them having some damn good dry ribs. Could never replicate them just right though.

Reactions: FillYerHands
Your ribs looks great! Did you apply more rub at the end of the smoke? I haven't eaten at Corky's in years. Used to have one here in Knoxville but I do remember them having some damn good dry ribs. Could never replicate them just right though.
No, I didn't apply anything after the cook. I loosely covered them with a foil hat and let them rest.

Here they are at the start, along with a set of full ribs that I cooked wet style.

20200705_132113.jpg

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Those ribs look to be pretty darned good from where I'm sitting! I'm not a wrapper or a mopper, sometimes I'll give a little spritz during the cook, sometimes brush on some SBR right when I take them off and let the rack rest, you can always have sauce on the side. RAY

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Only dry ribs for me. I was born in Memphis and when we travelled there to visit family we always hit up The Rendezvous. Probably my favorite dry ribs I've ever had. Here in TN, you can find their rub pretty easily.

I put the rub on mine then wrap them in plastic wrap an leave them in the fridge for a few hours.

Reactions: JJS
Looks great. I like dry ribs too. Most times I will use SBR bout 30 mins before taking them off. No wrap.

Reactions: chopsaw
Looks really good. Dry ribs all the way for me. Not that there’s anything wrong with wet ribs. Both are good.

Those ribs look fantastic!
I have a couple racks of BB’s in the freezer & I’m going to get one out right now to thaw. You have me really hungry for ribs!
Nicely done!
Al

Reactions: FillYerHands
Dry is preferred in our house. If 8 and 6yr old daughters as well as the wife request them that way who am I to argue. I have experimented lately and last ones got a super thin coat of Killer Hog BBQ and Vinegar Sauce and those got eaten just fine

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky