Dry curing the old fashioned way without electricity??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

expat smoker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
I'd like to try dry curing coppa and other dry cured meats and have seen a lot of DIY curing cabinets, but they all require refridgeration, fans, meters= electricity.  How did our [great?]grandfathers do it??

Lots of Salt and only started the process in the colder months. In PA, Grandpa slaughtered the Hogs the end of October when the outside temps were no higher than mid 40's and then did all the curing and smoking in a 8' X 10' Block Building behind the house. Coppa and Prosciutto is made all over Italy but those made in the South are much Saltier than those made in the North...JJ

Last edited:
Reactions: schola1980
Well JJ, I guess that's another bad idea of mine as here in northern Thailand it drops down to the 60's for a month in the winter, if we're lucky.  There are some higher mountains that do remain cool up at 3,000 to 4,000ft elevation, but too far away.  

Thanks for popping my bubble............

Jack
th_crybaby2.gif

If you have a small space in a fridge you can use umai dry bags and do a lonzino or lomo (dry cured pork tenderloin). (I am sure you can do it without the bags as well but it makes it simple to do in a tight space) Of course, if you have more room you can do pancetta, capicola, prosciutto, or bresaola as well.  Unfortunately, the process calls for refrigeration.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky