Dry Cured Peperone

Discussion in 'Sausage' started by nepas, May 1, 2012.

1. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Recipe is from Charcuterie book pg 146. After fermentation i will be doing a mild cold smoker before temp/humidity hang.

NOTE

This recipe uses cure #2. Please do not attempt this in the dry cure form unless you are familiar with the dry cure process.

Someone on another forum heard that i'm getting out of the smoking/sausage making. Nope, Just need to re group on my ways.

My hog casing being soaked.
    [​IMG]

BBL

2. "Getting out of the smoking/sausage making."

That's so ridiculous.

3. nepas

nepas Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yeah thats what i said to.....Funny peeps

Here is the basic ingredients. Water and f-rm-52 not shown cuz i gotta go uptown quick.

Dpm

dextrose

kosher

smoked cayenne

smoked paprika

ground fennel

allspice

cure #2

dry red wine

[​IMG]

4. Love your sausage making posts! You getting out of the sausage making...must have been some silly thoughts!

5. nepas

Yeah they musta been drinking something good....EH

90/10 GB

1/4 cup distilled water, mixed in 1/4 tsp f-rm-52

Peperone all stuffed, poked with holes all over to get the air pockets out and help dry time.

[​IMG]

Its 86* inside my dry fridge so no need for lights. Hang time is for 12 hours.

[​IMG]

6. nepas

Time for temp/humidity

[​IMG]

7. nepas

Day 2 in the dry fridge. The peperone is getting darker.

[​IMG]

8. Looks like they are a little drier today.

9. X2 

10. nepas

Day 5.

Getting darker and happy.

[​IMG]

11. I want to know this process looks very complicated.

12. slownlow

slownlow Smoking Fanatic

Wow looking good!!

13. africanmeat

africanmeat Master of the Pit OTBS Member

It looks good Rick i am here waiting.

14. nepas

Getting closer to peperone.

[​IMG]

15. nepas

Yup real close. Squeeze test is feeling good. Tomorrow i will cut 1" off the bottom of a link and check and do a PH test.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Looking real good.

17. sam3

sam3 Smoking Fanatic

Nice!

18. That's some real nice color.

19. I don't usually post on threads, usually learn much and enjoy all of you.Can't tell you how happy I am that you are not getting out of the sausage business. I really am learning so much and enjoy going back thru past threads, especially every one of yours, Nepas,   Thanks to all of you, Ben

20. nepas

Not yet there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hang it back up for a few more days. Tasting like good peperone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]