Dry Cured Beef Whole Muscle Jerky ~ 2 Recipes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
Every couple of months I try and make a batch of jerky and make enough for friends. For the last 3 months beef cuts have been hit and miss in my stores, but I stumbled across three London broil roasts, all about 1" thick and around 3# each. It's jerky time..... I prefer the traditional chew so the strips are sliced with the grain. I purchase the bulk cure from Hi Mountain Seasoning and mix my own seasoning mix. Their cure is similar to Tender Quick for ease of use, but it contains 0.85% nitrite., sugar in a salt carrier. (Tender Quick is 0.5 % nitrate, and 0.5% nitrite)

I add my own seasoning, mix well with the cure and divide the amount in half. One half is added to one face of the jerky, the meat is flipped over, and the other half of the mix goes on the back side. The strips are stacked and wrapped in plastic. Recommended cure time is 24 hours. The strips are then ready to go to an oven, smoker or dehydrator, and I add a final sprinkle of Penzey's fine grind black pepper on one face only to make the flavor pop. This time I made a garlic pepper flavor (roasted garlic, black pepper, and Temper Temper) and a pastrami flavor (roasted garlic, black pepper and coriander).

58vFV3j.jpg
SdtC5wX.jpg
GU7X8ol.jpg
KYXchE1.jpg

Looks pretty good to me! I wish we were neighbors so we could trade a bit of jerky with each other.

I make a LOT of jerky. While London Broil is a nice cut for jerky, it can get pricey. My fave beef cut is eye-of-round. Sam's or COSTCO have good prices on it. You may want to ask about the cryopacks as well (untrimmed)...sometimes the cost savings is so much it is worth trimming it yourself.

Looks pretty good to me! I wish we were neighbors so we could trade a bit of jerky with each other.

I make a LOT of jerky. While London Broil is a nice cut for jerky, it can get pricey. My fave beef cut is eye-of-round. Sam's or COSTCO have good prices on it. You may want to ask about the cryopacks as well (untrimmed)...sometimes the cost savings is so much it is worth trimming it yourself.
I have no problem with eye-or-round, or chuck eye but you have to have a whole chuck roll which are 20# and cut it out yourself. Of course the remainder is excellent for burger. I got the London broil for $3.49/lb and the pile of trimmings from 9 pounds was maybe 1.5 cups, and I had about 1/2 pound of pieces to small to jerk, so I fried them for snacking.

The jerky in the photo is 4.5 pounds of raw weight.

Reactions: uncle eddie
Where's the jerky for your friends......... lol

Nice work :emoji_thumbsup:

Boykjo

I have no problem with eye-or-round, or chuck eye but you have to have a whole chuck roll which are 20# and cut it out yourself. Of course the remainder is excellent for burger. I got the London broil for $3.49/lb and the pile of trimmings from 9 pounds was maybe 1.5 cups, and I had about 1/2 pound of pieces to small to jerk, so I fried them for snacking.

The jerky in the photo is 4.5 pounds of raw weight.

I do make about 4 to 5 pounds at a time as well and that is the typical weight of a trimmed eye-of round...when I buy the cryopack, to shrink-wrap and freeze the "other half" for later.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky