Dry Bag aging

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

venture

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 1, 2008
Central California
I haven't seen much on this one for a while?

How many people have tried it?

How long did you age?

What do you think ?

Good luck and good smoking.

Glad you brought this up, Merv.

I was wondering the same thing. It was all the rage there for a while.

I have dry aged beef many times......I have not used the bags that were on this site last year but used cheese cloth to wrap the meat in....

Mostly I dry age rib roasts. I wrap the meat in 3 layers of the cloth and place on a rack on a tray and store in a refer for up to 2 weeks... I think the meat has increased flavor and tenderness... Works well..

Watching the top end restaurants, on the tube, store meat for up to 7 weeks in a walk-in cooler makes me think I am definitely in the safe zone on the 2 week time frame I use... I do not have my refer lined with salt blocks either....

When we have steak, (a rarity) they end up on a rack and a plate in the refer also...usually for 2-3 days with 1 layer of cloth...

Never done a side by side to see if the 2 day storage improves flavor and tenderness but I do think it is worth it.... a mental "game thing" I think....

I was thinking about trying it, but then I saw you have to trim some off the outside afterwards.

I prefer to eat the whole thing.

Besides if Smoked Prime Rib got any better, they'd have to call the guys in the white coats to pick me up!!!

All you guys who smoke Prime Rib have got to be thinking---Just how good can it get???

Just My 2¢

Bear

I won one of these systems in the contest last year, so I got the recommended vac sealer along with the bags. I've been using them ever since!  I still have difficulty getting a big slab into the bag and getting a real good seal, but they've all worked out great.  I've aged boneless ribeye and new york slabs from Costco, from 3 weeks to over 4 weeks. The longer it ages, the more I will need to trim, but I trim pretty close; some folks trim deeper than I do. You can do smaller chunks, easier to bag and seal, but then you're increasing the surface area trim. I'm pretty much spoiled now, they're as good as the best steak house in town, and far better than one of the most expensive ones.  You can age meat without this gear, but once you get it bagged it can just hang out in the fridge with no worries for as long as you want. No weird odors or "off"-ness" at all.  If I'm doing a bone-in roast, I do it like DaveOmak.  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/104369/time-to-try-out-my-new-dry-bag-system-the-conclusion  this is my first drybag post.

Originally Posted by Bearcarver  

I was thinking about trying it, but then I saw you have to trim some off the outside afterwards.I prefer to eat the whole thing.

I guess you haven't tried dry aging beef for yourself..

When wrapped in cheese cloth the "bark" that forms is pretty minor.....

When I saw the bark, for the first time, I thought "it is dried out". I'm not going to throw that away... it is the part with the most flavor....

So I rubbed the outside with EVOO and rubbed in spices of my choice into the oil and meat.....

The bark softened and was infused with the oil and spices........ It was great........  

Besides if Smoked Prime Rib got any better, they'd have to call the guys in the white coats to pick me up!!!

If your Prime Rib is the best it can be, I'd stick with your recipe...

My post was in response to Dry Aging Beef and folks here

that want to think "outside the box" and try something new.  Just my $1.00 worth.....

All you guys who smoke Prime Rib have got to be thinking---Just how good can it get???

Just My 2¢

Bear

Geez, sorry dave, I didn't mean to offend you, as my post was not directed at you.

Just stating my opinion in as nice a way as I can. I try to do that always.

You're right, I never did it, but I watched a few Utubes about it, back when they had the dry aging kits for prizes on SMF.

I saw entirely too much being cut off & discarded. Maybe they were less conservative than most.

I in no way would tell others not to do it, or put down anyone who does.

I apologize for stating my opinion,

Bear

This year I will use my Beef Rub but for the last 10 years, I put a good coat of Montreal Steak Seas' and a wrap in cheese cloth, then it's in to the bottom of the fridge for a week or so...Christmas day...No trim needed, pan with veggies and in to the oven...going into the smoker this year unless there is too much snow...JJ

On a dry aged piece of meat there will always be trim.  That is part of what increases the cost.  The trim, plus the dehydration leaves you with less weight than you started with.  I am asking about the drybag system.  Especially with age beyond the minimal 21 day period.

I don't have the controlled environment for dry aging that a few of the high end restaurants employ. I do remember working with dry aged beef in my youth, but, as I recall, that was the minimal 21 day dry age.  We had customers who were used to fresh beef that would question us about even that little bit of age.  I think some people have more advanced palates now?  I could be wrong.

I get the impression that not many folks here have tried it. 

This one will be fun to watch until I decide whether to invest in an experiment.

Good luck and good smoking.

I tried the drybag on a NY Strip primal a few months ago, 42 days iirc.  Yes there was some trim.  Yes they were outstanding, yes I'll be doing it again. Its just that... too much meat, too many ways to enjoy it...   :)

that plus the extra frig is unplugged for the summer, thats where the aging occurred.

I do have plans to dry age a few moose & deer primals in the next couple of months.. I hope :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky