• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Dry aging DIY

Kay W

Joined Sep 9, 2020
Hey, first post.
Glad I stumbled across these forums, looks like theres quite a bit of information here but I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

I've set up a mini fridge for dry aging.
Has a thermometer, humidity sensor, UV light and a fan for air circulation.
Humidity can be controlled via controller, but no humidifier connected to it.
Installed a hook to hang the meat from the top of the fridge.

Temp is constant 2-3C (I believe it's around 37F), humidity w/o anything in the fridge is around 50%.

Got a 4.5Kg (10lbs) prime ribeye ready to go into the fridge.

Question is:
1) Once the meat is in, I expect the humidity levels to rise (correct me if I'm wrong) . Do I absolutely need some way to dehumidifie the fridge? If yes, is rock salt good? Keep in mind getting a block of salt in my area is quite tricky.

2) I plan to install a humidifier that will activate automatically once humidity levels drop below 70% and shut off once it reaches 85%. Is this necessary or am I going a bit too crazy?

Any advice or information for a newbie would be appreciated. I want to be sure I'm getting everything right. I also managed to get ahold of a great cut of meat.

Thanks in advance!

tx smoker

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Any advice or information for a newbie would be appreciated. I want to be sure I'm getting everything right. I also managed to get ahold of a great cut of meat.
I've dry aged several large, sub primal cuts of meat and only used a regular fridge. Once or maybe twice I used uMAI bags but for the most part I just put the meat in the fridge on a bread cooling rack for air circulation and just let them go for the prescribed period of time. From everything I read if you're dry aging in that manner you want the fridge in the lower 30's F to avoid possible spoilage since the meat is not cured prior to aging.

Here are links to a few posts I did with dry aged beef

I did a huge amount of reading and research before delving into this and all three of these were fantastic and done in a beer over-flow fridge in the utility room. nothing special or fancy at all, just patience.

Robert

GonnaSmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Sep 19, 2018
So instead of starting another thread about dry aging, I thought that I bring this one back up. From what I can tell by reading here, and I've read several pages of threads about it, if I attempt to dry age with the UMAi bags, I don't need a fan in the refrigerator? It seems that most that do it, prefer the bags as opposed to just placing the primal on a rack with a fan?

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.