Dry aged steaks.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbnice1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 22, 2017
So, I really thought I had already posted this but I guess not. Decided to try my hand at dry aging. Got a 17lb boneless rib roast from Sam's and put it in a dry age bag. Then into the fridge for 34 days! Trimmed all the bad stuff off then souis vide at 131F for 4 hours. Finished on the wood fired grill and they were amazing! The fat that normally would be grizzle and tough was like butter.
IMG_3854.jpg

2 weeks in.
IMG_3870.jpg
3 weeks

IMG_3910.jpg
week 4
IMG_3947.jpg
Ignore the A1!!!! Its for the potatoes. No steaks were harmed by A1 in the making of this experience.
IMG_3969.JPG
You can kinda of see here how after cooking the fat pulled apart from the meat and from itself on its own.
IMG_3973.JPG

Great job. Was it worth the wait? It sure looks good.
Ignore the A1!!!! Its for the potatoes. No steaks were harmed by A1 in the making of this experience.
Whew-Definitely good to know. Points could have been deducted for Steak abuse!

Reactions: SGMan
Nice job.

I agree with the fat being tasty after aging. Never liked steak fat, but when i tasted aked steak fat...wow.

However when i i sous vide them the fat is not as good.

I would say yes I think, it was worth it. Honestly the flavor to me was just a good steak flavor, not much different then normal. My dad said it was much different and was fantastic so maybe my taste buds are not as good. lol

In my opinion it was worth it for how tender they were and how amazing the fat was.

Well we did left over steaks today. I pulled 2 of the steaks I had left over and through in the deep freeze. So I can say for sure they have a very different flavor. Its amazing... and the fat is still great!

Those look amazing. I need to read up on this dry aging process. I never knew you could do it at home.

Very tasty.

Question, that pic of steak in centre.

Is it required to trim that black crust off or doesn’t matter? I normally trim it off.

Had some 60 days aged steaks with some friends yesterday. Grilled to rare. They kept asking where i got the neat from, how i cooked them...
They were awesome....fat and all.

Great Steaks!
They look danged tasty, nice job cooking them.
Like!

I believe I've heard it said here before that if you really want to taste the difference in dry aged steaks, go for 60 days.
Me, I don't think I have the patience for 34, much less 60.
They'd be like Sirens calling me to the rocks.... Eat me!

Great Steaks!
They look danged tasty, nice job cooking them.
Like!

I believe I've heard it said here before that if you really want to taste the difference in dry aged steaks, go for 60 days.
Me, I don't think I have the patience for 34, much less 60.
They'd be like Sirens calling me to the rocks.... Eat me!
No need for patience...do two roasts ha ha

I age a full prime rib roast 2-3 times a year - maintains a continous supply of steaks.

Those look amazing. I need to read up on this dry aging process. I never knew you could do it at home.

Very easy to do.... You use a UMAi bag:
Take it straight out of the packers bag and slide it into the bag and vac seal it. There are many youtube clips on how to do it. Then place it in the fridge. I put it on a wire rack so it had circulation all around.

Very tasty.

Question, that pic of steak in centre.

Is it required to trim that black crust off or doesn’t matter? I normally trim it off.

I had not trimmed that one yet. And yes they need to be trimmed. The outside tastes very bad.

Very easy to do.... You use a UMAi bag:
Take it straight out of the packers bag and slide it into the bag and vac seal it. There are many youtube clips on how to do it. Then place it in the fridge. I put it on a wire rack so it had circulation all around.

I've never heard of this before! I will have to give it a try! Thanks! :)

I really need to try this. I have to admit I have a hard time getting over the black outer look of the aged beef. That said its obvious from everyones comments that from a flavor and texture standpoint its worth it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky