Dry Aged Ribeye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Was at Albertson's and noticed they had Rib Roast on sale. They had few really nice ones around 5 lbs but I wanted something closer to 10. Had the butcher cut me one. Really prefer picking my own meat but look like he did OK. Picking good steaks is my super power. I been wanting to try this since that last post.

I will be using wraps and not sure how long it will take to get but guess this will be OK in fridge for a while? Do I need to cut the bones off? Thinking 45 or 60 days?

20220119_113247.jpg 20220119_113257.jpg

This was the Thread that hooked me from Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke :

Last edited:
Looks like he picked you a pretty good one. Besides marbling on a rib roast I always look for a nice size rib cap muscle... That one hase a nice one!... Ive never dry aged anything..i was thinking about trying with umai bags sometime but have not taken the plunge.. Im curiouse how it turns out for you so I'll be following this one.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
I did a few in UMAi bags a few years back Brian, 28, 35, then 45 days. I didn't notice much of a difference in flavor and didn't like all the meat I had to cut off and toss, that hard rubbery bark that forms. Try it out and see how you like it, some folks rave about it, just wasn't for me. RAY

Brian, you've probably seen my latest thread that I started this morning. While you don't need the bags, they sure make it almost foolproof, I'm evidence of that. Just be sure to place your rib on a rack or something so that it gets good airflow all the way around...

Was at Albertson's and noticed they had Rib Roast on sale. They had few really nice ones around 5 lbs but I wanted something closer to 10. Had the butcher cut me one. Really prefer picking my own meat but look like he did OK. Picking good steaks is my super power. I been wanting to try this since that last post.

I will be using wraps and not sure how long it will take to get but guess this will be OK in fridge for a while? Do I need to cut the bones off? Thinking 45 or 60 days?

View attachment 522723View attachment 522722

This was the Thread that hooked me from Gonna Smoke Gonna Smoke :

Brian, I've used the UMAI bags, and nothing but pink Himalayan
salt in a pyrex dish under the meat and can't tell a difference.
I have a small 110v fan inside the fridge I leave running the whole time also. You may want to look up the aging with pink salt for more information. Good luck!

Last edited:
Brian

I seen your a member of my UMAi FB group. Lots of very experienced folks in there from all over the world.

Rick, I'd be there too, but in the world of Facebook, I don't exist. I just wish that there was another option so that I could participate...
Yeah FB is not what it used to be when it started. Now if you speak your mind you get banned and i been banned for 30 days at a time quit a few times for speaking my mind, Freedom of speech is only for the select ones now.

Yeah FB is not what it used to be when it started. Now if you speak your mind you get banned and i been banned for 30 days at a time quit a few times for speaking my mind, Freedom of speech is only for the select ones now.
Yea, you should bring them all here. Way better atmosphere.

Reactions: Ringer
For years I’ve dried a full prime rib roast, the meat log, in my garage fridge for a friend of mine. I put it on a sheet pan with 3-4 layers of paper towels. I rotate it and change out the paper towels every day. Soon it starts to harden and the towels are clean. That’s when I put it on a rack on the pan and then I use a small computer fan in the fridge, not pointed directly at it, to keep the air moving. Every day or two I open and close the door. I’ve gone as far as 60 days and the meat is amazing. There’s a big difference in texture. I know this might horrify some but thus far, for 10 years or more, it’s worked every year.

Last edited:
Brian

I seen your a member of my UMAi FB group. Lots of very experienced folks in there from all over the world.
Thought that was yours. I guess I should of ordered bags on Amazon. Still no word that they shipped and I paid extra for 2 day shipping. Guess need to be this in freezer for now.

This package never going to get here. I had a friend that is a mail girl check yesterday and she got it to move from plano to Dallas which is the wrong way and stuck there again. This 2 day delivery is now 8 days. Was at VFW and guy I know that is a butcher said it needs to come out of that package. It has moisture trapped in. I put in freezer for a while yesterday but pulled back out thinking bag will get here today. I will just take out of bag and mist it with water if bag ever gets here. This nice rib roast might be a goner when said and done. Live and learn. Stick with Amazon!!! USPS sucks!

I am way out of my element with Dry Age, but why not just smoke it to keep it from going to waste?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky