Dry Aged Beef Rib Steaks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
Some of you may remember my thread about dry aging a bone-in rib roast for Christmas. I started the process on November 22 https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/getting-ready.311758/. As Christmas approached, I realized that the rib roast wouldn't be big enough for the anticipated crowd so I opted to let it go for a couple of weeks longer. 35-40 days seems to be a magical time when the meat really changes and I let this one go for 42 days...
20220109_153012.jpg

Cut in between the ribs and I got 4 thick steaks and 1 thinner...
20220109_154133.jpg

I took the thinner one, one of the thick ones and trimmed for the grill. The rest were vacuumed sealed and into the freezer...
20220110_125811.jpg

20220110_130559.jpg

On the grill with some coarse salt and fresh cracked black pepper for a reverse sear. Cooked to an internal temp of about 115℉ and then over the coals for a sear. Pulled at 125℉ to rest. It didn't take very long to reach 125℉ so not much sear...
20220110_173711.jpg

Meanwhile, I drizzled some EVOO on fresh asparagus, grated on some lime zest, dusted with chili powder and some grated parmesan (yes, the stuff in the plastic jar) and into a 425℉ oven to roast...
20220110_164940.jpg

Grilled some fresh zucchini and red bell peppers & whole mushrooms. All were drizzled with a little EVOO and coarse salt and pepper...
20220110_180553.jpg

Boiled a few small red potatoes until fork tender. Put on a pan and smashed slightly with a potato masher. Melted butter is brushed on, added a little coarse salt and pepper, and some more of that same grated parmesan cheese. Into the oven to get crispy...
20220110_174756 (1).jpg

All the sides are ready. Put some sesame seeds on the peppers & mushrooms...
20220110_183904.jpg

Meat is sliced...
20220110_182917.jpg

Broke out the fine china, time to eat...
20220110_184703 (1).jpg

For anyone who has never had beef aged that long or even longer, the flavor is just different. Deep, rich, beefy flavor, almost buttery. It's very easy to do at home, just takes patience and fridge space. When grilling, it really doesn't need anything other than salt & pepper, probably doesn't even need that. Don't really want any seasonings to interfere with the rich beef flavor.

The asparagus recipe was a recommendation from a friend who had eaten something similar at a restaurant. For the first time making it, it turned out pretty good, but next time I think I'll squeeze on some of the lime juice. It only had a very slight hint of citrus and I was expecting more...

Wow! That looks incredible, you got me sold on the dry age. Ive just never had the discipline to to take the time and commit to it! Those steaks are beautiful though and perfectly cooked, my mouth started watering as soon as the pics came up! Big points for that!

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Excellent job! I love dry aged beef just not the price tag. I need to give these bags a try. Great job on all of it
A local store always has a whole boneless ribeye dry aging. They want $40/lb. for the steaks. Save yourself a bunch of money and age your meat yourself.
Wow! That looks incredible, you got me sold on the dry age. Ive just never had the discipline to to take the time and commit to it! Those steaks are beautiful though and perfectly cooked, my mouth started watering as soon as the pics came up! Big points for that!
Thank you, Jed, I really appreciate it...
Everything looks amazing !
What a meal ! And viewing this at lunchtime...
Thank you so much...
steak for dinner is the best option after a hard day
Yes it is...

One thing that I'll add, this was a "select" grade rib roast. Seems that dry aging does wonders for the lesser grades...

Over the holidays I had Christmas dinner at a friend's house who is the executive chef at a steakhouse in NYC. He made 2 100 day dry aged tomahawk ribeyes. Best steaks I ever had. The 60 day were on the menu at $240 each. Way beyond my budget.

HOLY COW....literally. That all looks amazing Charles. The steaks are beautiful but the variety of what you turned out is nothing short of mouthwatering. Extremely well done sir, and yes, I'll have a plate please :emoji_wink:

Robert

Nice meal all around there guy.

Warren
Thank you so much, Warren...
Oh man that looks fantastic! Very nice work!
Thank you for the kind words, civil...
Can not say nothing more except "FANTASTIC"! Got to buy UMAI bags and try aged beef.... I am sure it tastes like it looks!
Get the bags, they make it easy. Thank you...
Looks delicious! You had quite the buffet going on...nice job!

Ryan
Ryan, I always seem to have a crowd almost every night, all family and I wouldn't want it any other way. Thank you...

Over the holidays I had Christmas dinner at a friend's house who is the executive chef at a steakhouse in NYC. He made 2 100 day dry aged tomahawk ribeyes. Best steaks I ever had. The 60 day were on the menu at $240 each. Way beyond my budget.
I think that the next dry age project is going to be a lot longer. Way cheaper to do it myself...

HOLY COW....literally. That all looks amazing Charles. The steaks are beautiful but the variety of what you turned out is nothing short of mouthwatering. Extremely well done sir, and yes, I'll have a plate please :emoji_wink:

Robert
Robert, you will always be welcome at my house. Thank you for your kind words...

That looks awesome. Got me wanting to try dry ageing. Any trick to the dry age other than vacu seal in a umai bag and let it sit in the fridge?

That looks awesome. Got me wanting to try dry ageing. Any trick to the dry age other than vacu seal in a umai bag and let it sit in the fridge?
Not really. I have a garage fridge and I put the meat in the bottom part on a rack to allow air flow all the way around. It doesn't really develop any particular aroma, but will get darker on the outside as it dries. Be patient and let it go, my next one will be at least 60 days...

Not really. I have a garage fridge and I put the meat in the bottom part on a rack to allow air flow all the way around. It doesn't really develop any particular aroma, but will get darker on the outside as it dries. Be patient and let it go, my next one will be at least 60 days...
Thanks, I'll be giving this a try.
My garage fridge is for beer so it looks like I'll have to make some room.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky