Dry aged beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigal

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 21, 2006
Western Kansas
I'm sure some of you have done this before. Don't hear much talk about it and was wonder'n if it is worth the head ache and what cuts are good to dry age? I figured it was better for steaks, but not brisket. Just curious about what you guys have learned from it.

Thanks

I don't know about 'DRY AGED" but alot of competition cooks will age there brisket in the fridge for 3-4 weeks as long as it is in the cryovac and is totally sealed(no holes or air getting in)Iv'e read that it supposedly tenderizes the briskett...have never tried it though.

Thats kinda funny. I have a brisket still in the fridge from about a month ago, still "aging". I better get that done this weekend.

I've read about the dry aging for steaks, been awhile, and many restaurants will do this.

Some guys around here will have the butcher age the beef on a hanger(before its cut up) for up to 28 days.

I think I've read that before. Looks very familiar and sounds the same as I remember.

You are the google queen! Have you ever used the google maps w/satellite images? I bet you can see your house. I can see my place real easy.

Yeah, I love zomming around on it checking out everyones address I know...lol...It's cool!!!!!

as far as I know,beef is best aged in the cry o vac package ( from the producer ) from 14 days to 28 days at the most....after that it is going down hill (rotting ) reguardless of the packaging.....having said that ,that is the optimal time for aging for tenderness ,with the product still being perfectly edible for say 70 days ,although it will smell gassy or like well aged cheese when opened !! hope this helps ! reguards T-bone.

I'm gonna have to check Alton Brown. I know I saw something on there, don't know if was Brown, about dry aged beef. Some hot shot 5 star steakhouse dry aged their beef. If anyone has "studied" it, he sure has.

Thanks for the help

thanks teacup. When I get time I wanna try this for the site. Seams as though nobody has done it yet. Want to add something to this great forum

thanks!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Maybe I'll try this with something small first in the food saver sealer bags if it works ok I'll try something bigger. Thanks Theresa and Teacup!

Debi, that would result in a "wet-aging" process which is how most supermarkets get their primal cuts from the Packing houses.

When we had our meat cutting shop, all of our beef was aged for 10-21 days. Now days, when I get a rib primal from my supplier it comes cryovaced (wet aged), I'll have the butcher remove the chine bone and the feather bones. I'll then take the primal home and dry age it for up to 7 days in my spare refrigerator using a perforated tub (ala Alton Brown).

Grrrrreat resource, many thanks. Been grabbing this stuff from alt.binaries.multimedia.cooking .......

Dry aging seems like sloooow dehydration. aka controlled rotting.

Also, I think the use of towels also keeps the surface from drying out too much so less trimming is needed afterwards.

I've used the Cook's Illustrated technique several times with much success.  I wrapped my steaks in cheesecloth, put them on a baking rack, and left them in the fridge for four days.  They developed an out crust and much better flavor than steaks grilled straight from the store. 

The way i understand the dry aging process .

It must be done under controlled humidity and tempratures for the process to work.

I have done the so called wet aging and could notice no apprecible difference in taste or texture.

i figure my smokin and grillin hasn't had any complaints so i won't waste time .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky