Dripping back bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hondabbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 25, 2014
Canada
I have made back bacon a few times. The last time it was on the dry side and I wasn’t happy.
I’m always looking to improve and read on the Amazingribs website to cook and smoke at 325 to push through the stall and have a shorter cook time which makes for a juicer end product.
I bribed the pork loin as I usually do in pops brine for 10 days.
I thought 325 was too high so I stared at 225 for smoke time with my Amaznpellet tray.
I bumped it to 275 after an hours of solid smoke.
It was dripping in the smoker making sizzling noises but I persevered and went with the process.
Once the IT of 155 was reached I removed from the smoker and put on a rack to cool
The just kept dripping out moisture wetting down several paper towels I had underneath.

I have never had them lost moisture like that before and I’m thinking it’s a lot to lose per loin and it’s going to be dry again

Anyone have this happen to them when they pull out their back bacon?

I see a couple of things here that could be the problem... The main problem is your cooking too to high of an IT... IT should be 145 degrees.. 140 degrees for pork is considered done by regulation standards...
There is no need to bump temps higher than the normal 225 degrees cooking temp...
The continued dripping is all the brine that it had soaked up...

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I see a couple of things here that could be the problem... The main problem is your cooking too to high of an IT... IT should be 145 degrees.. 140 degrees for pork is considered done by regulation standards...
There is no need to bump temps higher than the normal 225 degrees cooking temp...
The continued dripping is all the brine that it had soaked up...

Would I be able to slice and eat it from from the fridge at 145? Or would it need to be fried up?

Per Regs..its safe to eat at 145 degrees IT assuming of course you got there in the 4 hr window.
Jim
The 4 hour window, meaning start to finish cooked in 4 hours finishing at 145?

I just took one and sliced it open. It’s very moist. I do t know if it was the cooking method or the pork loin. I was gifted these from a guy who said they were destined for the Japanese market and are much smaller in size, and a premium pork product. They only ship these to Japan.
2B2B43F4-59E5-493A-A1CA-4E9154B43358.jpeg
620C39CE-22B3-40C6-A640-9153386D80FF.jpeg

Reactions: JLeonard
Per Regs..its safe to eat at 145 degrees IT assuming of course you got there in the 4 hr window.
145° is safe to eat, correct. You don't however need to get there in 4 hours with intact muscle. You only need to get the surface temp of the meat there.

Cured meat is a whole nother ball of wax. You can smoke for hours at low temp without a problem. You don't even need to hit any particular IT so long as you're going to cook it before consuming. I personally take my bacon to 145°, but I don't really have to since we fry it before we eat it anyhow.

145° is safe to eat, correct. You don't however need to get there in 4 hours with intact muscle. You only need to get the surface temp of the meat there.

Cured meat is a whole nother ball of wax. You can smoke for hours at low temp without a problem. You don't even need to hit any particular IT so long as you're going to cook it before consuming. I personally take my bacon to 145°, but I don't really have to since we fry it before we eat it anyhow.
Totally agree....Had a brain fart and didnt even think about the curing part. You are right!
Jim

Reactions: DougE

Doug covers this very well, nice work Doug.

To the OP,
Taking the meat IT to 155* you are approaching the stall temperature where the meat starts to expel its juices. This is way to far for cured meat. At these temperatures you are rendering fat and tightening up the muscle fiber. Do not go over 145* IT for a much higher quality finished product and take your time getting there.

Reactions: DougE and indaswamp
Would I be able to slice and eat it from from the fridge at 145? Or would it need to be fried up?
Yes, as was already stated 145° is the safe IT for Pork.
Years ago the USDA told us 160° was the safe temp, and I was taking my Canadian Bacon to 160° internal temp, and it was terribly Dry that way.
When changed it to 145°, and I started to take mine to 145° it was like a dream came true, as it was sooo moist & tasty. I can also either eat it right from the fridge, or just warm it a bit before eating it. No reason to cook it again.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky