Drill bit for ECB mods??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scvinegarpepper

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Lowcountry, SC
This is a dumb question. But what kind of bit do I need to use to drill through the base and walls of the ECB smokers? I tried it once and had a helluva time getting the bit to pierce the metal. Thanks in advance. Hell, I was probably using a wood bit.

Hell, I was probably using a wood bit.
LOL, or a real dull one! which is probably the case. Stop at the hardware store and get a new one.

It should look like the one on the left,

581c7807_drill-bits-432.jpg

Before you drill, put a piece of masking tape over the spot where you are going to drill, then use a nail or punch and place it where you want the drill bit to center, give it a firm whack (don't kill it, just firm). That will create a small dimple in the metal to keep the tip from wandering around, also get some 3-in-1 oil or cutting oil and lube up the tip of the bit a little as you drill, keep the RPM's on the drill medium to medium low.

Good advice so far. How big of a hole are you trying to drill? You might want to take a different approach if it is big, say over 3/8" +-. Pilot hole or hole saw may be in order.

icon_cool.gif

Drill bit you use a drill bit. Whats the matter with the old nail and a couple of good whacks with a hammer.

Could have been the ceramic coating, Glass wins over a drill bit. Center punch and start out with a new bit, For metal that thin I wouldn't drill a pilot hole and if I did it would be a small diameter one like 1/8 or the bit will just grab and spin in the chuck.

just make sure the bits your using are HSS or better...    just for the heck of it will throw this in there... your drill was in forward correct??? i am sure it was but.... also if your drilling holes in lighter metal, especially is you are wanting a larger sized hole, unibits, or step drills as they are also called are the cats meow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky