Dried Beef Step by Step (Great Stuff)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Attachments

• IMG_20201222_100932098.jpg
    IMG_20201222_100932098.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 23
Looking Good!!!
Make sure you cut it as thin as you can. Big Difference!!!
Even in a Sammy:
6 or 8 slices of 1/16" thick Dried Beef is Awesome!!
One slice of Half inch thick Dried Beef is Not so good.

Bear
I'll cut as thin as I can I can't wait to try it

Attachments

• IMG_20201222_181429866.jpg
    IMG_20201222_181429866.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 24
It is good stuff , and that looks great . I started putting hot pepper powder in mine . It's good if you like spicy . Nice work enjoy !

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
The finished product is awesome..the ends are the best jerky I've had.... thanks so much for this recipe and the step by step process...Bear you Rock!!!! greatly appreciated!!!!

LOL---Whenever I make it, I trim all the outsides off before slicing. That always goes to Bear Jr. He goes nuts over it, and also says it';s the best Jerky he ever had!!!
Thanks for the Nice Compliments, Kevin.

Bear

Reactions: Kevinbthgrouse
Really can't wait to give this a try. Quick question though. Why do you feel the need to freeze after vacuum bagging? After all, the product is cured then smoked then vacuum bagged. And it is beef after all. Not so prone to the typical bacterias if you know what I mean. I've done many cured and smoked meats and don't freeze them after vacuum bagging.

Really can't wait to give this a try. Quick question though. Why do you feel the need to freeze after vacuum bagging? After all, the product is cured then smoked then vacuum bagged. And it is beef after all. Not so prone to the typical bacterias if you know what I mean. I've done many cured and smoked meats and don't freeze them after vacuum bagging.

If you follow my method, it won't be near as dry as the stuff you buy in stores, packed in bags or vacuum jars. That's too dry for me, but mine isn't shelf stable. I freeze it if I'm not going to eat it in less than 2 weeks. I have had some of my Dried Beef in my freezer for over 3 years.
My Bacon is cured & Smoked & vacuum packed, but I still freeze the majority of it in smaller packs to be thawed & kept refrigerated before using.

Bear

I don't know personally, because I only ever got mine from Todd.
However there's a lot of threads on here with a lot of talk about Dust and Pellets.
Check some of them out---Lumberjack sounds interesting.
The only ones of Todd's I had trouble with were Cherry Pellets.

Bear

I followed this recipe but i only have a little chief smoker and finished in oven. Got late last night and my internal temp was around 140 F. Any issues with this temp, I put in the fridge last night.

thanks

I followed this recipe but i only have a little chief smoker and finished in oven. Got late last night and my internal temp was around 140 F. Any issues with this temp, I put in the fridge last night.

thanks

There shouldn't be any issues @ 140°IT.
I always hold the temp down for hours to get lots of Smoke on. Then I take it up to 160°IT to get it the way I like it. Many people like it Drier than I do, but I like it a little moist, so the Dry meat doesn't suck the moisture out of the Bread in my Sandwiches.
Yours being taken to 140°IT will be done enough to be safe, yet moist enough for some Great cold Sammies!!

Bear

Turned out really good for my little smoker and oven. I might need to invest in a meat slicer. Just using filet knife. Thanks for recipe. I had 9 days in fridge in bag. Then one day with seasoning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky