Dried Beef Step by Step (Great Stuff)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just sliced and froze my dried beefs. Cured for 14 days, soaked post cure for an hour or so (changed the water) and it smoked much quicker than I anticipated.
Pulled and sliced them today and they were a wee bit salty (right on the cusp of just right and almost a bit salty) so I made creamed chipped beef. (No not SOS - thats ground beef... FoR - PM me for the clarification) LOL

It totally toned down the (almost) saltness and made it a delicious dinner! The fam was happy tonight!!

That’s Great!!
Glad you like it !!
Better ease up on it—-It seems to be turning the hairs on your fac GREEN !!!

I like Creamed Chipped Beef on toast, but I love my Cold Dried Beef with American Cheese & Mayo (or MW) on White Bread even better. Sometimes some Horsey Sauce Too!!

Bear

Reactions: SGMan
Thank You SGMan and Steve!!
I'm real glad you guys are enjoying things from my Step by Steps!!
That makes them all Worth Doing, to me.

Bear

Reactions: SGMan
Thanks! I just smoked up a hunk of venison using this method yesterday and it was so good I went and bought a pork loin to try my hand at CB.

That's Great, Janell !!
I used to always get at least one hind quarter into Dried Beef, but since I can do my own I do Backstraps mostly.

Bear

Bearcarver, do you have an idea of what the max number of days you can cure this recipe would be?
Dried Beef, step by step, using TQ
The reason I ask is because I have had a beef round eye (the thickest pieces 3"), curing since 11/16/20!
Bad weather and company staying with us for a week all got in the way and I forgot about it in the back of the fridge! I only inspected and turned the bags 3x during the process. Now I am looking at these pieces of beef thinking I need to throw them away.

The tapered end of the round eye roast was bright red on the outside as well as the inside . This was the smallest section of the roast. A test fry of that one tasted weird so I was going to throw it all out.
The outer meat on the thickest pieces looks a little brownish/yellowish in places. When sliced through the thickest sections, it is red all the way through. A test fry from the center of the largest roast tasted normal.

Any opinions on what you would do? Well, you wouldn't have forgotten it in the refrigerator for a week+ too long, but other than that??
Thanks!

Bearcarver, do you have an idea of what the max number of days you can cure this recipe would be?
Dried Beef, step by step, using TQ
The reason I ask is because I have had a beef round eye (the thickest pieces 3"), curing since 11/16/20!
Bad weather and company staying with us for a week all got in the way and I forgot about it in the back of the fridge! I only inspected and turned the bags 3x during the process. Now I am looking at these pieces of beef thinking I need to throw them away.

The tapered end of the round eye roast was bright red on the outside as well as the inside . This was the smallest section of the roast. A test fry of that one tasted weird so I was going to throw it all out.
The outer meat on the thickest pieces looks a little brownish/yellowish in places. When sliced through the thickest sections, it is red all the way through. A test fry from the center of the largest roast tasted normal.

Any opinions on what you would do? Well, you wouldn't have forgotten it in the refrigerator for a week+ too long, but other than that??
Thanks!

That's only 21 days, so if everything else is right, like amount of TQ, Temp of Fridge, and anything else in my Step by Step, it should be fine.
There is often a variance of Pink, Red, and tan areas on the outside of pieces, due to touching each other during curing & where air touches & doesn't touch, however I don't know about any Yellows. Some Pics might help.

Bear

Reactions: zwiller
My apologies. I have tried to edit the above post, and that is not working for me. I am having issues trying to upload pictures as well..... this is just not my day!!! I will try again to get some pictures uploaded.

image3.jpeg image1.jpeg image0.jpeg

My apologies. I have tried to edit the above post, and that is not working for me. I am having issues trying to upload pictures as well..... this is just not my day!!! I will try again to get some pictures uploaded.

View attachment 474242View attachment 474244View attachment 474246

The colors I'm seeing are all normal. The reds & browns are from how much air got to them. The brighter reds are normally from the inside when cut open.
I don't see the yellows.
I never enjoyed the taste of test fries, after curing, without smoking, but it was never bad.
I would smoke it, and see how a thin slice tastes after a good smoke.

BTW: To edit a post, just hit edit, at the bottom of your post. Then highlight anything you want to delete, and hit delete. Then add anything you want to add, before hitting "Save".

Bear

I would smoke it, and see how a thin slice tastes after a good smoke.

BTW: To edit a post, just hit edit, at the bottom of your post. Then highlight anything you want to delete, and hit delete. Then add anything you want to add, before hitting "Save".

Bear
Thanks so much Bear. I will smoke it and see how it turns out.
My edit function appears to be working fine today. Yesterday it kept spooling like when your computer freezes up. Could have been our less than optimal internet connection! Thank you for the instructions!
KSp

I'm doing my first batch by the way it looked this morning after one day in the fridge I think I should of done more I picked up some nice top round finally on sale... can't wait for the curing process... thanks Bear!!!

I'm doing my first batch by the way it looked this morning after one day in the fridge I think I should of done more I picked up some nice top round finally on sale... can't wait for the curing process... thanks Bear!!!

You're Very Welcome!!
It's good to do a small amount the first time.
Then the next time you can fill the Smoker.
Enjoy!

Bear

I have made this using TQ on beef, and venison, but I always thought it a touch too salty. I have since adjusted it to use cure #1 and diggingdogfarms online cure calculator. After several attempts I have landed on a final recipe I like.

I use a beef dry rub that I get from Angelo’s BBQ in Ft. Worth TX, mix in the proper amount of cure, rub the meat and then follow your process. Everyone raves about it when I share. A friend just came over this morning with some of his venison loins to learn how to do it himself. I take that as a very big compliment, and felt I should extend it to you, since it is your recipe and process that inspired it. We have 7 inner and outer loins on the cure and will be running the smoker sometime between Christmas and New Year.

I have not been using any sugar in my recipe development, but plan to pick up some beef and try using brown sugar, and also some with maple syrup that my brother makes.

What I have learned to be the keys are proper curing, and the long cooking process ramping temps up slowly. This gives the right texture, and intensifies the flavor.

I find it quite rich, so I couldn’t make an entire sandwich out if it, but it does make an excellent creamed chipped beef on toast, and this morning I put some in my scrambled eggs with cheese. YUM!

I also think it would do well in a cheese ball, or with some herbed cream cheese spread on it, then wrapped around a pickle spear (Instead of ham).

Thanks for the inspiration.

I have made this using TQ on beef, and venison, but I always thought it a touch too salty. I have since adjusted it to use cure #1 and diggingdogfarms online cure calculator. After several attempts I have landed on a final recipe I like.

I use a beef dry rub that I get from Angelo’s BBQ in Ft. Worth TX, mix in the proper amount of cure, rub the meat and then follow your process. Everyone raves about it when I share. A friend just came over this morning with some of his venison loins to learn how to do it himself. I take that as a very big compliment, and felt I should extend it to you, since it is your recipe and process that inspired it. We have 7 inner and outer loins on the cure and will be running the smoker sometime between Christmas and New Year.

I have not been using any sugar in my recipe development, but plan to pick up some beef and try using brown sugar, and also some with maple syrup that my brother makes.

What I have learned to be the keys are proper curing, and the long cooking process ramping temps up slowly. This gives the right texture, and intensifies the flavor.

I find it quite rich, so I couldn’t make an entire sandwich out if it, but it does make an excellent creamed chipped beef on toast, and this morning I put some in my scrambled eggs with cheese. YUM!

I also think it would do well in a cheese ball, or with some herbed cream cheese spread on it, then wrapped around a pickle spear (Instead of ham).

Thanks for the inspiration.

Sounds Great, Doongie!!
Some find TQ a bit salty, but it's often from not adding the right amount of Sugar, or Dry curing too long, but using Cure #1 properly can help.
I love the Sammies, but My Roll-ups are Great too:
Try These: Dried Beef Roll-ups

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky