• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Dried Beef Step by Step (Great Stuff)

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Six hours and looking good

Looking Good!!!
Make sure you cut it as thin as you can. Big Difference!!!
Even in a Sammy:
6 or 8 slices of 1/16" thick Dried Beef is Awesome!!
One slice of Half inch thick Dried Beef is Not so good.

Bear

Kevinbthgrouse

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 27, 2020
The finished product is awesome..the ends are the best jerky I've had.... thanks so much for this recipe and the step by step process...Bear you Rock!!!! greatly appreciated!!!!

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
It is good stuff , and that looks great . I started putting hot pepper powder in mine . It's good if you like spicy . Nice work enjoy !

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
The finished product is awesome..the ends are the best jerky I've had.... thanks so much for this recipe and the step by step process...Bear you Rock!!!! greatly appreciated!!!!

LOL---Whenever I make it, I trim all the outsides off before slicing. That always goes to Bear Jr. He goes nuts over it, and also says it';s the best Jerky he ever had!!!
Thanks for the Nice Compliments, Kevin.

Bear

Kevinbthgrouse

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 27, 2020
LOL---Whenever I make it, I trim all the outsides off before slicing. That always goes to Bear Jr. He goes nuts over it, and also says it';s the best Jerky he ever had!!!
Thanks for the Nice Compliments, Kevin.

Bear
The only problem I should of made more 🤣

Larry H.

Joined Jul 23, 2021
Really can't wait to give this a try. Quick question though. Why do you feel the need to freeze after vacuum bagging? After all, the product is cured then smoked then vacuum bagged. And it is beef after all. Not so prone to the typical bacterias if you know what I mean. I've done many cured and smoked meats and don't freeze them after vacuum bagging.

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Really can't wait to give this a try. Quick question though. Why do you feel the need to freeze after vacuum bagging? After all, the product is cured then smoked then vacuum bagged. And it is beef after all. Not so prone to the typical bacterias if you know what I mean. I've done many cured and smoked meats and don't freeze them after vacuum bagging.
If you follow my method, it won't be near as dry as the stuff you buy in stores, packed in bags or vacuum jars. That's too dry for me, but mine isn't shelf stable. I freeze it if I'm not going to eat it in less than 2 weeks. I have had some of my Dried Beef in my freezer for over 3 years.
My Bacon is cured & Smoked & vacuum packed, but I still freeze the majority of it in smaller packs to be thawed & kept refrigerated before using.

Bear

philinnm

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 24, 2011
I guess Todd sold out. I've been trying to find where to buy some sawdust with no luck. And the pellets I have won't stay lit. Any suggestions out there? Thanks!

Bearcarver

OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
I don't know personally, because I only ever got mine from Todd.
However there's a lot of threads on here with a lot of talk about Dust and Pellets.
Check some of them out---Lumberjack sounds interesting.
The only ones of Todd's I had trouble with were Cherry Pellets.

Bear

philinnm

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 24, 2011
I don't know personally, because I only ever got mine from Todd.
However there's a lot of threads on here with a lot of talk about Dust and Pellets.
Check some of them out---Lumberjack sounds interesting.
The only ones of Todd's I had trouble with were Cherry Pellets.

Bear
yep. the cherry are a problem for sure. thanks.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.