DougE's breakfast sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Glad you found a spice mixture that works.
I gave up trying to come up with a spice mixture I like a while ago.
Found this on Amazon and it is my goto for breakfast sausage.
Relatively inexpensive ($7 or so) and is enough for 25 pounds of meat.
I like doing my own spice blends so I am in control of salt content. I find most commercial spice blends to be heavier on salt than I prefer. Salt is cheap, and they tend to be heavy handed with it for that reason. Salt is necessary to get protein extraction, but it doesn't take as much as is what is in most of the commercial spice blends I have tried.

I like doing my own spice blends so I am in control of salt content. I find most commercial spice blends to be heavier on salt than I prefer. Salt is cheap, and they tend to be heavy handed with it for that reason. Salt is necessary to get protein extraction, but it doesn't take as much as is what is in most of the commercial spice blends I have tried.
I second that on the salt levels.
I get decent protein extraction at the 1/2% salt level. Just takes a couple minutes longer mixing and chill quickly to keep the temps low. Let it rest at chilled temps and mix again.

Reactions: DougE
1.5 to 1.75% salt is where I generally stay.
That is much better than commercial or traditional recipes.

Wife (and now myself) need much lower salt levels to keep the blood pressure in check without the daily pharma.
Protein extraction occurs at much lower salt levels. I haven't gone below 1/2%

That is much better than commercial or traditional recipes.

Wife (and now myself) need much lower salt levels to keep the blood pressure in check without the daily pharma.
Protein extraction occurs at much lower salt levels. I haven't gone below 1/2%
Maybe I'm just more sensitive to salt taste than others, but if I go much above what I said, I find the end product too salty. I get SALT, and some underlying flavors behind it. I like balance.

I've been playing with this recipe awhile to get it just right and everyone who I give sausage to seem to like this one best (I do too and I've made a bunch of different ones).

Per 1000g(kg.) of meat:

15g Salt ( doesn't matter coarse or fine, long as it is non-iodized)
3.0g Black pepper
1.0g white pepper
1.25g marjoram
0.75g cayenne
0.5g nutmeg
1.75g rubbed sage ...... use the rubbed rather than ground if you want it to be the same.

I bookmarked this when you posted but haven't got around to responding. From the level of cayenne and lack of red pepper flakes I'm guessing this isn't considered a "hot / spicy" sausage recipe? I'm going to grind a pork but either tonight or tomorrow for breakfast sausage and make this but wanted to get a ball park idea of the heat from the cayenne. Thanks in advance.

I bookmarked this when you posted but haven't got around to responding. From the level of cayenne and lack of red pepper flakes I'm guessing this isn't considered a "hot / spicy" sausage recipe? I'm going to grind a pork but either tonight or tomorrow for breakfast sausage and make this but wanted to get a ball park idea of the heat from the cayenne. Thanks in advance.
It is not a hot sausage recipe. Great flavor. I add some red pepper flakes when I want to amp it up a little.

Reactions: mr_whipple
mr_whipple mr_whipple I've made it a couple of times and definitely would not considered it hot/spicy breakfast sausage. In fact I used 1g per kg and my wife who does not care for hot breakfast sausage had no complaints. It's there but no where near for example Jimmy Dean or Kroger hot breakfast sausage. It's good stuff. I also added 1g each of granulated onion and garlic but that's just our tastes.

Reactions: mr_whipple
You get a little tingle on the tongue from the black, white, and cayenne pepper, but I would not call it hot. People I know who aren't into hot don't find it overly so, but just about right for a mild breakfast sausage. I probably should have worked up a hot version, and may do that.

You get a little tingle on the tongue from the black, white, and cayenne pepper, but I would not call it hot. People I know who aren't into hot don't find it overly so, but just about right for a mild breakfast sausage. I probably should have worked up a hot version, and may do that.
Gotcha. I'll make a batch as is and if I want more heat I'll throw in some red pepper flakes. Thanks!

Very close to one I have been using for years. Think it came from the bradely smoker forum but not sure as I belong to so many BBQ forum over the years. LOL

2267.96 ground pork butt course ground
29.6 gms. pickling salt
3.45 gms. coarse ground black pepper
3 grams. ground white pepper
4.29 grams. rubbed sage
2.7 grams. ground ginger
3.3 grams. ground Nutmeg
1.37 grams. ground Thyme
3 grams. Smoked Spanish Paprika
6 oz (177.42 grams) distilled water

Made a batch over the weekend. The only change was the addition of MSG at .25%. I ground and mixed Saturday morning, fried a test pattie then, and yesterday morning. Sundays had a far better flavor. That's a great flavor profile DougE DougE . Gonna bag and seal later today after work.

Made a batch over the weekend. The only change was the addition of MSG at .25%. I ground and mixed Saturday morning, fried a test pattie then, and yesterday morning. Sundays had a far better flavor. That's a great flavor profile DougE DougE . Gonna bag and seal later today after work.
I used JC in GB JC in GB 's Nuremberg brat recipe as a base and tweaked it a little to make into a breakfast sausage. I also make the brats, which are also very good.

I never tried your recipe Doug.
Wife is totally happy with the low sodium Jimmy Dean I developed with help from members mostly D Dave in AZ . She's in the "don't mess with it" club of wives. That's a formidable army!
Thanks for sharing the recipe. I plan to make a batch soon. Have you ever tried it with 50/50 venison, pork? Wondering if you think it would work. I’ll probably just stick with pork butt the first go round.
I did make a batch with my Jimmy Dean clone and about 45% venison. Wife replied "that is how it should taste".
As long as you use a good fatty pork butt grind it will make a good sausage blend. Mix it three times with a good chilling rest between each mix.

Reactions: Nodak21 and DougE
I've been playing with this recipe awhile to get it just right and everyone who I give sausage to seem to like this one best (I do too and I've made a bunch of different ones).

Per 1000g(kg.) of meat:

15g Salt ( doesn't matter coarse or fine, long as it is non-iodized)
3.0g Black pepper
1.0g white pepper
1.25g marjoram
0.75g cayenne
0.5g nutmeg
1.75g of rubbed sage is recommended instead of ground if you want the texture to be the same. It's like choosing the right fabric for your clothes to achieve the desired feel.
Now that brother-in-law has a sweet room set up for processing complete with a canister stuffer, we'd like to put his smoking skills to work and do our own sticks, summer sausage and other assorted goodies. Anyone have any great recipes? I assume we need to add cure with the seasonings before smoking? Anyone have any good ones without cure? Thanks

Now that brother-in-law has a sweet room set up for processing complete with a canister stuffer, we'd like to put his smoking skills to work and do our own sticks, summer sausage and other assorted goodies. Anyone have any great recipes? I assume we need to add cure with the seasonings before smoking? Anyone have any good ones without cure? Thanks
The Nuremberg Brat recipe from JC in GB JC in GB is a great fresh sausage. My go to for brats now.

Yes, for smoked sausages you need cure#1

Jalapeno cheddar smoked sausage.

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky