DougE's breakfast sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougE

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
I've been playing with this recipe awhile to get it just right and everyone who I give sausage to seem to like this one best (I do too and I've made a bunch of different ones).

Per 1000g(kg.) of meat:

15g Salt ( doesn't matter coarse or fine, long as it is non-iodized)
3.0g Black pepper
1.0g white pepper
1.25g marjoram
0.75g cayenne
0.5g nutmeg
1.75g rubbed sage ...... use the rubbed rather than ground if you want it to be the same.

Looks delicious Doug. That recipe looks like it would break down language barriers.
I'll probably end up tweaking it some, but it's really good as is. People I give breakfast sausage to want more of this one.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I made a batch of your sausage yesterday. Very good. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I plan to make a batch soon. Have you ever tried it with 50/50 venison, pork? Wondering if you think it would work. I’ll probably just stick with pork butt the first go round.

Reactions: DougE
Thanks for sharing the recipe. I plan to make a batch soon. Have you ever tried it with 50/50 venison, pork? Wondering if you think it would work. I’ll probably just stick with pork butt the first go round.
N21, That ratio will work , I like a 70 to 75% venison to 25 to 30 % pork butt ratio myself.

Nice looking recipe Doug.

Point for sure
Chris

I have not tried it with anything but straight pork, but so long as you keep the fat to lean around 15 to 30%, should work fine. I think that with what you want to do, I would separate the fat from the lean meat so I know what percentage of fat I have in the end product.

Reactions: Nodak21
Glad you found a spice mixture that works.
I gave up trying to come up with a spice mixture I like a while ago.
Found this on Amazon and it is my goto for breakfast sausage.
Relatively inexpensive ($7 or so) and is enough for 25 pounds of meat.

Attachments

• Breakfast Sausage Spice Mixture 2023-05-10.jpg
    Breakfast Sausage Spice Mixture 2023-05-10.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky