Double smoking boneless ham?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Crambone1812

Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Hi - i have never smoked a ham before on my weber kettle, and tomorrow is the day! Unfortunately (maybe?) there was a communication breakdown between me and the butcher, and I ended up w a boneless smoked ham instead of the bone-in shank. I was going to try the Meathead Goldwyn method here

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/ultimate-smoked-ham-recipe

Any ideas? Should I carve off the exterior and re-score it? Leave as-is? Cut it in half?

Happy Easter!
ham.jpg

I bet Bearcarver Bearcarver could chime in he’s done a lot of hams. For me though. I would just smoke it (reheat pretty much) until it hits the serving temp. I’m not sure if re scoring it will cause it to dry out during the cook

Reactions: Crambone1812
Check out Bearcarver Bearcarver step by steps... I've done several double smoked hams, bone in, spiral sliced, and boneless and they all turned out great! I've always cut the exterior off and if there's some fat there placed it above the ham to baste it with drippings while smoking. Or use fatty bacon. Good luck and take pics!

Ryan

Check out Bearcarver Bearcarver step by steps... I've done several double smoked hams, bone in, spiral sliced, and boneless and they all turned out great! I've always cut the exterior off and if there's some fat there placed it above the ham to baste it with drippings while smoking. Or use fatty bacon. Good luck and take pics!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan!! I think I will carve off the exterior.

Gonna start one like it in a few. I do them every Holiday. I just score them about a 1/4 inch deep and smoke them. I think scoring them helps smoke penetration a little. I leave the skin on and the wife can remover hers at the plate. I just can't justify shaving off half a pound of edible ham crust just to cook it again and form another one, that will get left on the plate.

Reactions: Crambone1812
Gonna start one like it in a few. I do them every Holiday. I just score them about a 1/4 inch deep and smoke them. I think scoring them helps smoke penetration a little. I leave the skin on and the wife can remover hers at the plate. I just can't justify shaving off half a pound of edible ham crust just to cook it again and form another one, that will get left on the plate.
I agree - I’m struggling with cutting off perfectly good ham just to make more ham. Seems like it will be easy to use in spaghetti sauce or eggs though.

Guys,
I only cut off Fat from the Butt Ends & Shank Ends, and if there is a little on a Spiral Sliced Ham too. Then I use the cut-offs in my holey Drip basting pan. The cuts I put in around the top go through any fat that's still there to the meat, so the Smoke can get into the meat, and the basting Drips can get into the meat, instead of just running down the sides. All Shown in my Step by Steps.

Bear

Thanks all for the feedback - final product was pretty good. As it turns out, it's pretty hard to screw up a ham that's already cooked.... Although I did mess up and forget to put some firebricks under the coals, so couldn't really get a great sear at 225, so ended up finishing in the broiler. Still want to try one with the bone in.

Attachments

• final ham final.jpg
    final ham final.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 19
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky