Double Smoked Hams---Times 4 (Step by Step)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bear, i'll use it for the ham. i was thinking about injecting other meats with my brine, not cure.. mostly, i was thinking of injecting poultry with sweetened cider.

when you said it has to be treated like sausage, it sounds like a turkey might be iffy.
No matter what you do to a Turkey, it should go from 40° to 140° in no longer than 4 hours, and then continued to get to 165° or more.

That's why those of us with Electric smokers don't smoke huge Turkeys & we don't recommend stuffing a Turkey before smoking.

Bear

define huge please. i have an 8 lb turkey breast. is there a problem there? what tempwould you smoke at?
I don't do Turkeys, but:

A Turkey Breast shouldn't be a problem, and I would use 225°, and 275° (my Max) at the end if it has skin on it.

This Thread used to be a "Step by Step" of how to Double Smoke a Ham.

Bear

Bear

Great read and great looking hams! You have inspired my plans for a Christmas am. We normally do turkey for Thanksgiving ad Ham for Christmas. I prefer ham better, but the wife prefers turkey, so time I get ham. Yours looks great.

Thanks
Ed

Do both and make everybody happy,  both freeze well and make great leftovers 

Gary

Thanks Bear, I've always been careful about the 40 to 140 in 4 hr rule, but I didn't know that didn't apply if you didn't inject w a temp probe after 3 hrs. I have the maverick 732 and just started out w the temp probe in at the start w my pork butts. I'll wait for 3 hr into smoke now before inserting...tks for the info Bear.

Bear

Great read and great looking hams! You have inspired my plans for a Christmas am. We normally do turkey for Thanksgiving ad Ham for Christmas. I prefer ham better, but the wife prefers turkey, so time I get ham. Yours looks great.

Thanks
Ed
Thanks Ed !!

Same thing at my house!!  I like Ham much more than Turkey. Mrs Bear prefers Turkey.

That's one of the reasons we go to our Son's house for Thanksgiving----That way he has to make it. 
rolleyes.gif

Bear
Thanks Bear, I've always been careful about the 40 to 140 in 4 hr rule, but I didn't know that didn't apply if you didn't inject w a temp probe after 3 hrs. I have the maverick 732 and just started out w the temp probe in at the start w my pork butts. I'll wait for 3 hr into smoke now before inserting...tks for the info Bear.
Yup----As long as you don't inject juices in, and you wait until 3 hours into the +200° smoke before inserting the temp probe (no puncturing through the surface), you don't have to  get it through the Zone in under 4 hours. It really doesn't take 3 hours, but why hurry.

Also----Many people don't do it but even though I wash my meat probe after every smoke, I still wipe the probe with an alcohol pad just before I insert it. They're cheap if you get a box of 250 at the drug store. That way no Nasties can ride the probe into the meat.

Bear

I wonder how much smoke I should use for a 10lb ham?  Should I smoke it the entire time or just a couple of hours?  I'm using chunk pieces, not an AMNPS.

We're breaking out in meat sweats here!! Just sampling my first double smoked ham and it's amazing. We can't stop eating it. I didn't glaze it as we have two friends who are diabetic and they will be partaking. Thanks for the instructions. 

I wonder how much smoke I should use for a 10lb ham?  Should I smoke it the entire time or just a couple of hours?  I'm using chunk pieces, not an AMNPS.
I smoke everything the same way:

I put smoke on the whole time the meat is in the smoker, except when it's wrapped in foil.

However I always use a light to medium amount of smoke. Light smoke for many hours is Great. Heavy smoke for even a short time is bad.

The good stuff is often called TBS----Thin Blue Smoke.

Bear

Last edited:
If you look over bears instructions and from what I discussed with him, he burns his AMNPS for the entire smoke and the key is TBS (thin blue smoke) and you should be fine.......

Exromenyer
OOOOPS---I didn't see this comment  ----You got me right on!!

I could have saved wear & tear on my right index finger!! 
biggrin.gif

Bear

We're breaking out in meat sweats here!! Just sampling my first double smoked ham and it's amazing. We can't stop eating it. I didn't glaze it as we have two friends who are diabetic and they will be partaking. Thanks for the instructions. 
Thank You for Posting!!

I'm glad you liked this!!

We've been eating Double Smoked Hams for about 30 years, but I've only been smoking my own for 4 years.

They are really expensive if you have to buy one, but so cheap if you get a cheap one & finish it yourself.

Plus mine are actually better tasting than the Double Smoked that I can buy.

Bear

Any tips for reheating? I have to smoke my ham today for Wednesday . I plan to have some served cold and some hot. Just don't want to dry it out.

Any tips for reheating? I have to smoke my ham today for Wednesday . I plan to have some served cold and some hot. Just don't want to dry it out.
That's kinda out of my line:

All I ever do is Smoke it the second time to 145° or 150° shortly before serving. Then slice it for that Dinner. Then I freeze the leftovers (sliced) that we won't eat in the first week.

Then I only reheat it in small amounts as we eat it. I use the Nuk-u-later to heat it up, or flip it around a little in a frying pan. Sometimes we just eat it cold in or out of sandwiches too.

Bear

Yeah. I planned on doing it the day of. But have to work now. I'm just gonna wing it. Slice one to serve cold and heat the other some how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. I planned on doing it the day of. But have to work now. I'm just gonna wing it. Slice one to serve cold and heat the other some how.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK----I was just at a Christmas Party this afternoon (My Wife's Family), and the only Ham they had was Cold Spiral Sliced. The Beer was Good though!!!

Bear

Reactions: foamheart
Hadn't seen this before. Glad someone posted something or I may have missed it. My wife bought two hams for Christmas even though we won't be home. She got one of her favorites from Wegmans (You know Wegman's, Bear, don't you?) The other came from Bottom Dollar and was cheap.

Well I am looking at the cheap one and wondering if I could smoke it. Out of the blue you answer my question without me asking. Now I wonder if it will work as well way over in East Allentown?

A follow up: now that I have looked into double smoking the ham I have seen some recommendations about soaking the ham in Dr Pepper first. It's supposed to balance out the salt in the ham. Any comments?

Boomerang Dave

If you want to reheat it whole rather than a few slices, I'd place the ham on a rack in a roasting pan. Add water to the bottom of the pan and cover the whole thing tightly with foil, cut side down. Bake at 325 degrees F for 16-20 minutes per pound, until a thermometer  registers 135 degrees. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky