Double smoked ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jddean75

Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Schaumburg Illinois
For all of you in the Midwest, you know it's been a brutal winter.  Especially out here in the Chicago burbs.  My wife bought me a new MES 40 model 20070311 smoker for Christmas, and with Todd's help equipped me for a year of good smoking.  BUT every time I had chance to use it, it's been snowing.

Last week I finally got the thing out to start it up and get it seasoned, and of course that got me itching to smoke something.  I would have smoked the neighbor's cat if I could have caught the thing.

WELL lucky for the cat, it's a nice day today and I just bought a 5lb ham.  I was so excited to get it out, I forgot to take pics of the preparation.  All I did really was score the fat cap and rub it down with some brown sugar.  I'm trying out my new Q matz today, and I may smoke some salmon tomorrow, so the matz will be getting a work out.

Using the AMNPS with Pittmaster's Choice pellets.  

Just set it.  You can just barely make out the TBS 

Now I'm sitting back and enjoying a cup of joe...

and dreaming of dinner.

All finished, pulled at an IT of 145.  

Sorry about the pic quality.  My camera was acting up and all my pics look bright.  

I will be doing ham again.  It was amazing.  Even my picky 7 year old demolished everything on her plate.  There's only 3 of us here, so I see some ham and eggs for breakfast and ham sammies for lunch this week.

Double smoked hams are the best thing since sliced bread.  LOL

Looks great.

Yes sir, you make me smell double smoked ham........

Excellent smoke and when the picky eater cleans the plate, it should always be the biggest compliment you can get.

Ice Cream for DESERT!

Congrats.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky