Double Olive Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Decided to make some bread to go with some bean and anduille soup that I was making. Wife found this recipe for olive bread. Looked in the fridge and we had some black olives and green olives stuffed with pimento. So we were set. I do think that calamata olives would be best, but these worked out fine. I used the brine from the green olives. It really gave the bread a great olive flavor. Next time I will probably do a second rise in the fridge for a total of two nights prior to cooking. All in all this bread was a success and we will definitely be making it again.

Here's the recipe

Ingredients

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon instant yeast

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup chopped olives

1/4 cup olive brine from a jar of olives

1 1/4 cups warm water

Directions

1. In a large bowl stir together flour, yeast, salt and chopped olives.

2. Combine olive juice with warm water and slowly stir into dry ingredients until a shaggy dough is formed. If dough seems too dry, add a little more water, one tablespoon at a time, until dough is barely wet throughout.

3. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place in warm place, and let it rise for at least 12 hours but preferably 18 hours. (Next time I plan on punching this down and then doing another rise in the fridge).

4. Place a large piece of parchment paper on counter. Generously flour the parchment paper. Use rubber spatula to turn dough on surface – it will be loose and sticky – this is what you want.

5. Flour hands and gently lift the edges of the dough in toward the center, folding the dough over onto itself to create a round shape. Cover with kitchen towel again and let rise for another 1½ to 2 hours. (I put mine into a proofing basket)

6. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Place large Dutch oven in oven while it preheats (about 30 minutes).

7. Remove hot pan from oven. Lift the parchment paper/dough into the hot pot. Cover with lid and put back in oven. Bake for 30 minutes.

8. Uncover and bake for an additional 15 minutes, until outside is golden brown and crispy.

9. Let cool to room temperature before serving.

48957460251_100fbf8160_c.jpg

After initial rise

48956905678_be810746a2_c.jpg

Ready for the proofing basket

48957648497_8008c6e3b6_c.jpg

Fresh out of the oven

48957461766_a584a9df75_c.jpg

48957462226_491dbdb27a_c.jpg

Tasty!

Love olives and homemade bread! I’m definitely giving this a try! I’ve got everything but the yeast. I need to just pick up a package I guess.

That looks and sounds delicious! My wife is not a fan of olives, so I'd have to make this myself... Oh well, more for me :emoji_wink:

You can substitute in Pepperoni or Salami. Used to buy Olive, Pepperoni or Salami bread from an old Italian woman in NJ.

The above bread looks great and the long Fermentation must give it amazing flavor!...JJ

Reactions: creek bottom
You can substitute in Pepperoni or Salami. Used to buy Olive, Pepperoni or Salami bread from an old Italian woman in NJ.

The above bread looks great and the long Fermentation must give it amazing flavor!...JJ

Thanks JJ.

Yep you can sub all sorts of things into this bread. I like to use the jalapeño or garlic stuffed olives or just jalapeños. You can add cheese too.

Reactions: creek bottom
Made another loaf of this yesterday. Added twice the amount of olives and rough chopped them this time. Liked it better than the sliced olives. And adding more made it even better. Yumm!

49012189808_736817ff6c_c.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky