Double cooked Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Millberry

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2020
Buford, GA
"It turns out that Sarge does a double cook for briskets. He smokes his briskets for a few hours and then lets them rest for a least a day before he put them back on the pit and finishes them off"
Has anyone on this forum tried this? I would be very interested. :emoji_grey_question:

Has anyone on this forum tried this? I would be very interested.

I have smoked them for 8 hours on one day (that seems to be about as long as they will take on smoke), into the fridge overnight, then panned with some beef based broth the next day, foiled, and cooked to finish at a higher temp. Did I notice any flavor difference? Not really. It just broke the cook time down over two days so managing the finish time for serving was more predictable. Probably not much help, but you asked :emoji_laughing:

Robert

I have smoked them for 8 hours on one day (that seems to be about as long as they will take on smoke), into the fridge overnight, then panned with some beef based broth the next day, foiled, and cooked to finish at a higher temp. Did I notice any flavor difference? Not really. It just broke the cook time down over two days so managing the finish time for serving was more predictable. Probably not much help, but you asked :emoji_laughing:

Robert
I really am grateful for your opinion and reply. I was wondering maybe it was a secret way...LOL

"It turns out that Sarge does a double cook for briskets. He smokes his briskets for a few hours and then lets them rest for a least a day before he put them back on the pit and finishes them off"
Has anyone on this forum tried this? I would be very interested. :emoji_grey_question:

Have never tried it, never much heard of it.
I don't know what it really buys you to do so like that. You could produce a great brisket doing that or despite doing that so it just seems like extra work to me, but if that is someone's process and they dont mind and they keep the food safe then no harm I guess haha.

Reactions: MJB05615 and TNJAKE
Have never tried it, never much heard of it.
I don't know what it really buys you to do so like that. You could produce a great brisket doing that or despite doing that so it just seems like extra work to me, but if that is someone's process and they dont mind and they keep the food safe then no harm I guess haha.
That makes sense

If you try that you would want to make sure the meat is cooked to at least 140 degrees the first cook to be safe. Then refrigerate it & finish the cook the next day. But other than not doing one long cook, I don’t see any advantage to doing it that way. I don’t think it would change the flavor, texture, or tenderness.
Al

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky