Don't slug me in the arm but...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 13, 2017
Saugus, California
...I don't have the stuff to make my own.
So I grabbed a package of Italian Sausages Hot. Thought I'd do them in my MES 30.
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
They are fresh, so thought I'd run them through the smoker.
Only a pound, 5 sausages. But hey... should be great!

It’s been pretty rare that I’ve smoked brats. Been years in fact. you Have to get your temp to 165. I’d pull them at 160 and hit them on the grill to crisp them up.

Good luck,
Scott

I've smoked both Hot Italian and Honey Garlic sausages bought at Costco. They turned out real tasty, but the casings on the Hot Italian were impossible to bite through, let alone chew. No idea why. Just different casings maybe. Never tried the HI again.
Gary

I did mine on the pellet grill when I was doing some ribs, I put them on at High Smoke (240) and they were done in about an hour to hour and half and were crispy on the outside, I was surprised since I smoked them on the upper rack. They were delicious.

just dont do a low and slow smoke, get those suckers up to 140 pretty quickly. I use cherry on my brats and love it, although typically what I do is to get the weber kettle set up indirect style, dump a little lit coal onto what ever is left from the last cook, a chunk of cherry wood and then put the brats on the cool side with the lid on and the vent above them. have the inlet just cracked open and let the sweet blue role. after about 20 minutes or so I flip them over and end for end (so the cool end is now towards the lit coals) and let them continue to soak the smoke for another 15 mintues at which point I remover the lid, and let the coals start to roll and I crisp the casing up for a little bit (turning frequently). add some homemade kraut and a little mustard... (dont even tell me you want ketchup on a brat...) and we are eating.

Thank You All!
So if smoking, it'll be a hot smoke. Cook those puppies!

In the past, we'd boil Brats in beer, then grill them and put them in a bun with some spicy brown mustard and grilled onions and peppers. Yummy! My Bro's Brother in Chicago would send us a case every year for a Brats-fest.

Coming back home from Sacramento, I got a hankering for Chili Rellenos, and Italian Sausage. I guess my spice cabinet below the belt is low on Spicy! :eek: Yesterday I got sent to the store for milk and a few things. So I got a few things more, of course...
You can't trust me to go to the store. LOL! So I picked up some Hot! Italian Sausages. And some sliced ham.
I just BBQ'd a couple for lunch. Yummy! And a glass of cold milk so the tummy doesn't catch fire. :eek:

I guess if I want to smoke some, it'll take another store run.... :oops: ;)

(I did put the last 3 in vacuum bags, separately, and freezing them for the future. BBQ appateasers.)

You can hot smoke them at 180-190 degrees. They will get through the danger zone in less than 4 hrs. take em to 160. enjoy

Boykjo

You can hot smoke them at 180-190 degrees. They will get through the danger zone in less than 4 hrs. take em to 160. enjoy

Boykjo

Thank You boykjo. I did use my portable digital instant read and got over 160° on both on the grill. So I was sure to be in the safe zone.
They were tasty, and pup approved.... ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky