Donairs is what we call them, Yero, or Gyro by other areas ( plus Dessert )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Donairs is what we call them, Yero, or Gyro are other names depending on where you live.
And in most parts of Canada people want the East Coast style of Donair. Which this is.

I worked for a great Chef, Peter. who was Greek and the Donair is a Mediterranean style food, that is cooked
on a vertical spit that spins ( Gyro ) and cooks only the outside. And you shave with a long knife as it cooks. Peter started making donairs
with all Lamb, than half lamb and half beef than just beef at a 80/20 =/- ratio of fat to meat. He found that the Nova Scotians just did not
take to the Lamb at all. And he changed the donair sauce to can milk and sweeter instead of the real sauce that was call Tzatziki, ( yogurt, cucumber etc etc )
1.JPG 2.JPG
This is from The Canadian Hotel and Restaurant Magazine from the 70's
We would make 90 lbs at a time, 3 of the big meat ball (as the magazine called it) per batch, and when I worked for Peter , I was a little younger and had hair than.
Stop laughing. The size of the finished Donair that you will see is actual size we would serve. Now you can get many sizes and just about anything on them now depending
where in the country you go. But the East Coast Donair is the first, and the ones most want. Some call them East Coast but put pepperoni, cheese Lettice or anything, not the same

So here it is:
I do not have the donair vertical cooker, so I made a loaf and baked it to a med temp of 155-160 f. I wanted it to stay juicy for later.
I raised it up to bake so not sitting in the fat that I am saving for later. ( sorry thats my Back Bacon in the back of first picture. And if
you look at the picture of Peter slicing the meat it comes off in long thin narrow strips. So after the loaf is cooked cooled until slicing day
next day. I cut it down the middle so when I slice it is close to the same as the knife slices
3.JPG 4.JPG DSC_3158.JPG 8.JPG
First The sauce is made with can milk ,sugar, gran. garlic, vinegar and parsley . Mix the milk and sugar and garlic and parsley until sugar is dissolved.
Do this in a flat bottom high side bowl because you want to with a big spoon stir back and forth along the bottom so the milk mix is rolling fast than
quickly pour in the vinegar and STOP as you raise the spoon to the top. Now you have a very thick almost like yogurt. Put in fridge

Now to put it all together. I use the grease i saved to put in the frying pan put in enough sliced meat for 3 donairs , start to fry lightly add a little water
and cover for a minute. Remove the cover than just fry lightly
In another pan little more of the same grease ( keeping the donair flavor on everything ) dip the pita bread in water and fry in the 2nd pan. You want the bread soft
with a light fry on it . Not crunchy !!

5.JPG 6.JPG 9.JPG 13.JPG

Now on to the pita bread, first layer of sauce, meat , onions, tomatoes, more sauce and top with chopped parsley.
Now roll into the tinfoil like an ice cream cone. That is how I was told to do it , ha ha . and tell the customers to peel it like a banana

15.JPG 16.JPG 18.JPG 19.JPG

Ha ha Mona finally got in one of the pictures # 3 holding the Donair
My wife loves Donairs and she will get one every month of so. This is the first full Donair the right way that I have had in many years.
It was really good to have the real close to the old recipe that Peter did after so many years . I really don't eat them because I have literally
made thousands of them when I used to cook that style of foods . When I say close I mean I have the original recipe , but it was for 90 lb's. So
over the years for a couple friends I broke it down to 10lb, than 5lb for my son , because he cannot get the real thing in British Columbia .
Now for me , I broke it down for 2 1/2 lb's. And it is still real close. And Mona is happy and still some meat in the freezer for her. I am done for awhile again

So I was busy today I also surprised her with a dessert that I thought might be good. Pick up some Croissants and hollowed them out a little . Softened
some cream cheese, added cool whip icing sugar, blended fresh strawberries and mixed all together. Piped into the Croissants and chilled. Than served
on a plate with some of the blended strawberries and some chopped berries and a dab of the filling

20.JPG

21.JPG
22.JPG

I cut one just to show it was full, getting warm in the kitchen, starting to get soft

23.JPG
24.JPG

If you made it to the end
Sorry so long but I wanted to explain the Donair's to everyone

Thanks

David

Holy cow! That is some good looking food. And the dessert...OMG!
Jim

Thanks Jim for the like and the comment
Supper was great and hope the history did not bore you. Just part of my life from long ago, like I said I even had hair than

And the dessert was way over the top after the Donair's for supper.
But I did manage to get 2 desserts in to me. lol

David

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
David I really enjoyed the post. Love the back story that personalizes it as well. The entire meal looks amazing. So for the donair is the spice mix the same that would be used in the lamb / beef Greek version? What in the load mix binds it so well to be able to slice it thin , hold together snd fry again?

David I really enjoyed the post. Love the back story that personalizes it as well. The entire meal looks amazing. So for the donair is the spice mix the same that would be used in the lamb / beef Greek version? What in the load mix binds it so well to be able to slice it thin , hold together snd fry again?

Thanks for the like and the comment

As for the spices that were used for the Lamb than the different combinations . Until he went with just Beef
I am not sure as when I started with him ( I was in an other restaurant working for his nephew . ) so by the time I got there it was all beef that is when it really took off as a main food / snack meal to get around town, Especially for the drinking crowd late at night.

as for the binder it was all about the breadcrumbs and the mixing in the big Hobart . as it mixed it would give it a very heavy paste like feel. Than we would take amounts like 10 pounds or so and pound it on the work table , like slam it down. Than slide onto the spit, do the same to another 10 pounds or so. Add that to the same spit than start cutting trimming the raw meat to make the tapered shape . Than keep doing that until it is one large meat loaf. Than into the freezer , and wait until ready to use

We would go through 6 or more of those in a night
It is hard to understand the process without showing, The mixing and beating the air out would give it the texture of roast .
Now it is done in a large machine that actually forms it and than into the freezer.

Hope this makes sense, ask more if you want

David

Reactions: jcam222
What in the load mix binds it so well to be able to slice it thin , hold together snd fry again?

Hi jcam222
I meant to tell you when I made the smaller version I mix real well by hand , than on the counter top
I just keep rolling or kneading as if it is bread than make the shape and bake ( 350 for about 1 hour )
I kept checking iT after that. I pulled at 155 - 160 deg. F

David

Good stuff. Had many different versions over the years. Brings back great memories of many port visits to Greece in my Navy career. Yum!!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Good stuff. Had many different versions over the years. Brings back great memories of many port visits to Greece in my Navy career. Yum!!

Thanks mr_whipple for the like and the comment

Yes it was fun to rebuild and think of old times .
And like I said depends on where you are is how they make them and what they call Gyros, Yeros or Donairs as the guy I worked for called them
and that's what they call them across Canada now ( mostly )

David

I didn't recognize the donair spelling... always seen doner.

It is the nova Scotia way that started back in the 70's with the guy I worked for .
Than his brother and nephews got involved once they saw how big it might get.
He called his shop " King of Donairs " when some of his family got involved they all started up calling the new shops " Mr. Doner "
Than all hell blew and he took back a couple shops and his old name " King of Donair "

Quick rough history in a nut shell

So Donair is the first way and still stands today. I think 2015 donairs became Halifax's official food. More sold to more drunks than anywhere else in Canada.. stop laughing

David

What a great story. I have heard of Doner Kabob Sandwiches but didnt know the history. Nice work. Any chance of a Recipe?...JJ

What a great story. I have heard of Doner Kabob Sandwiches but didnt know the history. Nice work. Any chance of a Recipe?...JJ

Thank you JJ for the like and the comment
I have no problem with that, the sauce is easy, But for the Donair recipe
Do you want it for the 90 pounds of meat or less. lol

David

Very informative and tasty looking thread. I love 'em no matter what they're called by locale.
I've been kicking around doing it like I do my ground formed bacon. I form it in a 10 x 10 square pan, so when sliced the slices are ~ 1 1/2" x 10".
I'm with JJ on a recipe,I think a smaller recipe would serve better here :emoji_wink:

You've really been pumping out the threads lately - keep up the good work:emoji_thumbsup:

90 pounds? LOL..I can convert recipes in my Sleep, I've done so many. I think 10 pounds would suit most. Thank You very.much!...JJ

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky