Doing Taxes Got My Head Spinning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I would agree with forktender forktender and normanaj normanaj . The big banks are terrible unless you get very lucky. The local bank we used forever got bought out over and over. Eventually it became a Regions Bank. It was ok for a while as the same people worked there. Over time it went to complete crap. And I mean CRAP!
We moved everything over to a credit union when it was time to buy a new truck a few years ago and the difference was eye opening. Higher rates on savings and lower rates on loans. And they actually treat you like you didn't just interrupt the latest Tik Tok video they were watching.

I have used a LTP for many years who is also a CPA. It happens to be a hard to get into this business since it is family owned. My dad was with them before me and the preparer that does his taxes is the father of the one that does mine. My dad's taxes are much more complex than mine but running numbers is not my thing. That is why I have stuck with them for over 20 years.

For me the cost is not that much and it is worth it to just toss them the papers and have them run the numbers for me. Simple in and out. He has said a few times you can just do this yourself but it's not for me. I would also have support if Brandon's new IRS agents try and audit me.

Now that I have taken an early retirement his CPA is kicking in but will benefit once my wife also retires. She makes too much as a charge nurse to do it now and I have about 18 months until I can take in my government 401k equivalent without a penalty.

For now I can just kick back and enjoy my early retirement and no longer have the stress of driving in LA traffic. We have been very good at saving money over the years and will be able to enjoy the rest of our years with what we have saved.

Reactions: JLeonard
Your first mistake is banking with We'll For'go bank. Take your money out of that crap hole of a bank and join a credit union, you will make 2 to 4X more money with them in interest, and they will treat you like a friend.
Well's sucks balls!!!
I do my banking with Indepenant Financial. My investment stuff most Wells and some Fidelity. If I ever get close to breaking even at Fidelity I will be pulling it out. I hate them! Seems no mater what you do its wrong! I start getting my SS in Aug. Sure be nice to get a pay check again. I still got to play this game for health ins and keep my income pretty close to $25,00 until I 65.

Reactions: JLeonard
Got my taxes done. Usually fairly easy. I had got a $100,000 inheritance few years ago which was to pay for a boat and a vehicle. I messed up and put it with Fidelity just before the market went to hell. Been waiting for it to come back before I withdraw it. I had $20,000 realized losses on it last year. Took forever to figure out how to put into TaxAct. Had to use a website called form8949 to import all those transactions. To qualify for the health insurance plan I have to keep my yearly income at $25,000. Now I worried when and if my account comes back I will have to claim that as income now. It is hard enough to play this yearly income game for health insurance. Was planning on starting SS in few months. This sucks. I sure wish I could have that day back. Its time for a drink.
I wish going to a pro was that easy. We are in a quagmire tax-wise as I have to file married/separate since i file as a contractor/business owner. I cannot convolute her income with my gins/losses based on my 1099 and accrued business expenses. I have use HR block professional for 5 years. unless the computer i use takes a shit, my last year taxes are crossed to my current year. it ain't easy, and there's usually light alcohol involved, but haven't been audited yet. The main thing that sucks is the o blow'me care penalty my wife has to pay for health care.
That's all i have to say to avoid risk of dis-membership. :-(
john

When my taxes got too complicated, I took the pile to H+R Block and paid them $200 to sort it out.
We had inherited money, lost our house and all belongings in a flood, got insurance money, got FEMA money, bought $150000 worth of stuff, lived in hotels and ate fast food for months and finally bought new cars and a house.
Talk about a mess of paper work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky