Does where the wood is grown make a difference?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

getsmoked

Original poster
Nov 14, 2013
Was wondering if anyone has heard anything in regards to where the wood is grown geographically affecting the flavor of the woods, making certain woods from certain parts of the country better to use? Does climate, rainfall and soil content in, say, the northwest produce a different apple wood than in New England, for example?

Hello GetSmoked.  Welcome.  I see this is your first post.  Please take some time and swing over to Roll Call and introduce yourself so that we may give you a proper "Hello".  All info you can provide us with such as smoker type, location and so on will help us answer any questions you may have.  As for your question:  This is an interesting question.  Is apple wood grown in U.S.A different from apple wood grown in the U.K.? Air quality might come in to it.  And to take it further, does the variety of apple produce different wood smoke taste?  
hit.gif
  The only answer I can provide is 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
.  I don't see how you would know unless you had wood from a known source and of different variety of apple and did an exhaustive taste test.  I can say that when feeding show cattle and or horses, fertilised hay is preferred over non-fertilised hay.  They get more nutrients from fertilised hay.  Stands to reason environmental conditions would affect the taste of the wood. 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
 Wish I had the be all, end all answer.  Maybe someone else knows better.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky