does anyone use store bought rubs or spice or BBQ sauce???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There are lots out there and I have used a ton, however I also used to buy parmesan cheese in a shaker can...I just prefer fresh ground pepper and my own grown herbs and such, plus I'm not a big salt person. That being said, my rubs are much more economical than store bought! Guess my Scottish blood is showing through! Hee!!

I'm allergic ti onions. , so I make my own sauces and rubs. Penseys is a niceplace to get my ingredients, but the Mennonite market near my house is very cheap on all spices. My favorite sauce for chicken is white like Big Bob Gibson.

I found a mom and pop rub on a trip to Utah called, Wild Bill's.  I bought it and loved it so much that I called them on the phone and ordered some more.  It seems like some folks look down their nose at ya if you don't make your own.  IMO, it's a lot easier to start with a base and adjust it to one's liking.

Been making my own rubs for a few months now...that seems to be the way to go since you can tweak them to your tastes.But, I have been a fan of Stubb's since going to the restaurant years ago. Sauces have a tangy, spicy flavor I love and their rubs are all good.. I also dig "Chicago Steak" by Weber for beef usually tri-tip. I used to use Montreal Steak but grabbed the Chicago once by mistake, great mistake never went back to Canada!

Have done both but have been mixing my own for a while.....of course my own is simple - sea salt, a rough ground black pepper, garlic & onion powders. Have to watch the powders as they cake up sometimes and keep it well mixed as. Going to check some different brands just to see if I can get more consistency of size in the ingredients.

I definitely prefer my own rubs over store bought.  About the only commercial rub I'll use in a pinch is McCormick Sweet n Smoky.  It was my go-to rub for years until I started making my own. 

BBQ Sauces?  Yeah, I haven't had much luck with making my own yet, but I really haven't applied myself either.  Sweet Baby Ray's is our go-to commercial sauce, a great one to doctor up several different ways.  

Bone Sucking Sauce is good just like it is out of the jar.  I like it.  My wife doesn't.   

I have yet to experiment / invest in creating my own marinades & rubs. My top favorites are McCormicks Rubs & Seasonings,along with Stubbs BBQ Sauce and now that I tried it, their Marinades are pretty good too.

When I have guest over for lunch/dinner I give them a choice, Cattleman's, my N.C. or tomato base, let them pick. The ones that don't use mine, I don't invite back.....just kidding.

Unfortunately, the main ingredient in almost all the grocery store BBQ sauce is high fructose corn syrup.  Ugh.
That is one of the reasons I like Stubb's sauces...no HFCS or MSG.  I tried their Hickory Bourbon this past weekend for the first time, loved it.  I had a buddy that used to market his own sauce to local stores, which was off the hook, but his little secret was to always use Tomato Puree. Gave his sauce a great consistency. I am hoping he goes back in business. One day I will start trying my hand at sauce making. 

I usually like the original, or spicy...but that Hickory Bourbon was really good.  I like their mix of spices and tomato based with vinegar too. The regular really isn't sweet, more tangy and spicy (not hot spicy). The Hickory was a bit sweet but not too much.  

I've watched enough BBQ Pitmasters to see the pros use a combination of both. LOL!  I have a couple off the shelf rubs I like for a base layer and then start applying layers of my own flavors.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky