Does any else do this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
I had a curious thought this morning as I was eating my fried eggs and toast.  My curious thoughts can be sketchy, but I'll ask anyway.

Let's say you've smoked and wrapped a butt, shoulder, chuckie, brisket, whatever.  After the initial meal you put the meat and juices in a pan in the refrigerator.  The next day there is a nice 1/8" to 1/4" layer of solidified fat on the top of the au jus.  Do you scrape it off and throw it away? Leave it with the juice and reheat?  Or do you do like me and scrape it off and save it to use as a pan fry fat?  I LOVE how that flavored fat tastes on eggs, hash browns, gravy, even sausage and bacon.  Makes AMAZING grilled cheese sandwiches too.

Everyone knows about saving bacon and sausage fat for pan frying foods. Since I've started smoking meat I've started saving the scrapped fat too.  Smoking takes the flavor to an entire new level.  Does anyone else save the solidified fat scrapings from other meats?  I know it doesn't sound all that appetizing but it is my favorite ingredient for pan frying.  Below is a rather unappetizing picture of the scrapings from a last weekend's Korean BBQ chuckie.  The fat from the Mexican Chuckie I did is already used up.

Anyway, like I said, just a curious thought.

Last edited:
Noboundaries, gonna change your name to "Jebidiah Allardyce 'Cookie' Farnsworth"!

"I got your four basic food groups! Beans, bacon, whisky and lard."~ Cookie

"I ain't so good at speechifyin'... but I want you to have this. It's the bacon grease from the whole trip." ~ Cookie

Last edited:
have never had enough to do so...of course most of mine drips into my water pan or into the coals so...might have to set something up to catch some drippings and try it!
beercheer.gif

I put the auju  in the fridge. let the fat form on top. scrape the fat off and use the fat to get the fire going .

Happy smoken.

David

Yessir.......I like davids idea...... Also if you have leftover oil from frying chicken use it to start a fire or add it to a camp fire.... It will make you want to eat fire it smells so good....

Last edited:
I have always wanted to keep the juices from ribs when unwrapped to use for injecting in a brisket or pork loin or whatever. I never have done it but one of these days.

Oh yes. All those gelatine pieces,fat, and other drippings are concentrated flavors you can't get from anywhere else. Perfect for adding to soups,veggies, or frying up some ham.

It's almost worth smoking a brisket or pork butt just to get these juices to work with. Turbocharge your dishes with this stuff.

I'm going to have to use the drippings forother things. As of late I have been giving it to the Dobermans and the little Manchester terrier. Seeing my wife is a veterinarian I'm not worried about the side effects of pork in a dog.

Great chefs the world over save meat drippings and fat to sautée in or use as a flavoring agent in recipes that need a little fat to boost the flavor or cut the acidity. You don't need to use a lot. Just a dab here and there, this is very normal and natural. Don't be embarrassed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky