Do You Know What You Eat Eats?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
OK! I joined the group because I just can't pass up participating in this thread.

First, let me say that I am no friend of corporate food production - nor am I a friend or fan of PhRMA. I truly believe that profits always far outweigh any and every other consideration in those sectors. But, I live in Texas and dare not say anything about how cattle are raised or fed out in feed lots. I don't have Oprah's money nor a Dr. Phil to get me out of lawsuits.

Here's what I want to share with the group. My dad was born in 1894 and was raised in an orphanage in NC that raised most of its own food. He married in 1924 and raised a large family - I'm the ninth of nine. He opened and ran his own business for just about a year before the market crash of '29. He was in his mid 30s and had babies to feed. His solution was to spend the last cash he had to buy implements to plant a garden and to lease a small piece of land on which to do this. He also bought a cow, a couple of pigs, chickens and ducks. He moved to the 'country' - 2 or 3 miles from the center of town. From that time on, he always raised almost all of the vegetables that the family ate. WWII and Victory Gardens were old hat to him if new to many who were 1 generation removed from the family farm. Sometime in the late '30s, dad got work (he was a printer and typesetter) but he went to work an hour and half early and left equally early in order to come home and work his gardens until nightfall. My earliest memory of his gardens are of 2 city lots which were plowed every Spring my a rented mule - literally. I remember that he composted all leaves and plants to make the soil richer - long before Rodale who claimed to have invented the process. He continued to raise much of our food until about '55 as he became older and less capable of sustaining the energy.

With that perspective, I must tell you that my dad had completed a year of college in 1910 before he turned 16. He was a very intelligent man and his work forced him to be well read. His children forced him to be a hard working provider. We had wide ranging conversations about many things. Being the last of the bunch, I was allowed much freer rein than the oldest - mostly because dad realized that responsibility is taught by example and not by fiat. One of the topics we discussed at length - because I had to do a paper on the topic in grade school - was the impact of mechanization and factory farming on the average diet. Although this was long before the back-to-the-land and hippie movement, there was much written about the subject by then. Much of it was not supported by scientific experimentation. Most of the conclusions drawn by learned men - and fully supported by my dad's own opinion - was that the explosion of heart disease and cancer in the 20th Century had to be due to environmental factors. But what environmental factors affected the entire nation? Food supply, the air, and electromagnetic pulses. All of these things became drastically more compacted and affected greater numbers of people in greater degree in the 20th Century than in any earlier period of mankind's history. Food production was basically a family farm affair for much more than half the population until the early 20th. Factories belching pollutants into the atmosphere were almost unknown prior to about 1840. Production of electricity and the following use of radio technology are both early 20th Century phenomena. Dad concluded that these had to be very large factors adversely affecting the nation's health. He was particularly concerned about preservatives placed in processed foods to give them longer shelf life. Even then, many were known to be carcinogens. Later he became concerned about cattle routinely being given antibiotics - substances that he lived most of his life without!

He passed away in early '65. Since that time, countless studies have concluded that there are health-damaging products added to our food. The food processing industry has - as has been pointed out - bought and paid for the FDA. The pharmaceutical industry covered what the food producers didn't in that purchase. The FDA is a sham. It is fully and completely controlled by the political will of the industries it was supposed to regulate because politicians feed off the contributions of those industries. It takes only a small amount of time and effort to discover the truth of these statements. I urge you to investigate yourself. The effort will be well-spent to inform you . . . but it might make you think differently about public servants.

I checked out the link that Pops posted for Eatwild and found a farm that has raw milk Woohoo!!! I used to get fresh milk from a dairy farm on the Western Slope when I lived there and was in heaven then. Yep store butter does suck but tastes better than margarine.
I certainly hope you aren't getting Milk from any of these Farms...Some stuff is not worth the risk. Raw milk is one of them, Cold Smoking meat without Nitrite is another. I am not picking a fight, I get 2-3 Food Safety Bulletins every day and Raw Milk is a very frequent subject. Here are Two examples...One from the west coast and another from a well known Dairy a few miles from me. Please be careful...JJ
[h1]10 Infected with Campylobacter from Raw Milk in California[/h1]
by Mary Rothschild | May 11, 2012

At least 10 people infected with Campylobacter in California reported drinking Organic Pastures raw milk prior to becoming ill, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) said Thursday.
OrganicPasturesCampylobacter.jpg

Raw milk, raw skim milk (non-fat), raw cream and raw butter produced by the Fresno County dairy have been recalled and are subject to a quarantine order imposed by California State Veterinarian Dr. Annette Whiteford.

Whiteford issued the quarantine order after Campylobacter was detected in Organic Pastures raw cream, according to a news release.

"Consumers are strongly urged to dispose of any Organic Pastures products of these types remaining in their refrigerators, and retailers are to pull those products immediately from their shelves," public health officials wrote in the statement.

According to CDPH, six of the 10 people sickened are under 18. All 10 range in age from nine months to 38 years old; median age is 11.5 years. None of those sickened have been hospitalized. The outbreak cases reside in Fresno, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Luis Obispo and Santa Clara counties.

Mark McAfee, Organic Pastures owner, says he believes the test results are incorrect and has requested a hearing with the California Department of Food and Agriculture.

Organic Pastures has been linked to several past outbreaks of pathogen infection and recalled its unpasteurized dairy products for fecal-pathogen contamination in 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2011. In 2006, the raw milk dairy was the subject of a quarantine order after six children became ill with E. coli infections - two experienced kidney failure from hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS).

In November 2011, the state ordered a recall of Organic Pastures raw milk products and placed the farm on quarantine after five boys who drank unpasteurized milk from the dairy were infected with E. coli O157:H7. Environmental samples collected at Organic Pastures yielded E. coli 0157:H7 indistinguishable from the bacteria infecting the boys. Three of the children were hospitalized with HUS.

In its news release Thursday, CDPH said it identified 10 people with Campylobacter infection linked to Organic Pastures milk from January through April 30 this year.

This is the sixth outbreak in the U.S. associated with unpasteurized dairy products since the start of 2012.

So far this year, at least 18 people have been sickened by Campylobacter from raw goat milk sold in Kansas, 80 people became ill from Campylobacter-contaminated raw cow milk produced by a Pennsylvania farm, and 9 were infected by Campylobacter from raw milk products sold by a San Benito County, CA dairy. Fourteen E. coli O157:H7 infections have been linked to raw cow milk in central Missouri and a raw milk outbreak in Oregon has sickened 19 people with E. coli O157:H7 infections, one with Cryptosporidium and one with Campylobacter.

[emoji]169[/emoji] Food Safety News
[h1]Campylobacter Cases from Raw Milk Outbreak Reach 80[/h1]
by James Andrews | Mar 01, 2012

Since Food Safety News last reported on February 24, the Pennsylvania Department of Health has confirmed an additional two cases of Campylobacter infections in an outbreak tied to contaminated unpasteurized milk from Your Family Cow dairy in Chambersburg, PA. The latest cases bring the outbreak toll to 80 confirmed illnesses.

The two new confirmations -- both from Pennsylvania -- do not have a recent onset, as the emergence of new cases appears to have slowed.

This is the largest foodborne illness linked to raw milk in Pennsylvania history, affecting individuals in four states. The breakdown of cases by state is as follows:

Pennsylvania (70 illnesses), Maryland (5), West Virginia (3), New Jersey (2).

Since 2007, Pennsylvania raw milk dairies have been linked to at least seven outbreaks, now resulting in a total of 287 illnesses. In 2008, the state had a raw milk outbreak of Campylobacter infection that sickened 72 people.

Illness onset dates for the current outbreak range from January 17 to February 1. At least nine people have been hospitalized.

Although the Your Family Cow dairy temporarily halted sales upon discovery of the outbreak, the farm was allowed to resume production on February 6, after passing a health inspection.

Lab tests by the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene found the outbreak strain of Campylobacter in two unopened bottles of raw milk collected from customers' homes, and the owners of Your Family Cow dairy acknowledged responsibility for the contaminated milk that caused the outbreak. "It was us ... food from our farm has made people sick," Edwin Shank wrote in an open letter posted on the dairy's website

Of the 80 confirmed cases, 25 (31 percent) are under the age of 18, while all those ill ranged in age from 2 to 74. Children, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems are most susceptible to illness from pathogenic bacteria.

A spokesperson for the Pennsylvania state department of health emphasized that the two latest confirmed cases occurred within the established illness onset range of January 17 to February 1, suggesting that the outbreak ended weeks ago. Regardless, more cases may continue to surface as health laboratories match illnesses to the outbreak.

The sale of raw milk in legal in Pennsylvania. Last week, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a study showing that states that permit raw milk sales have more than twice as many illness outbreaks as states where raw milk is not sold.

[emoji]169[/emoji] Food Safety News

As a cancer survivor, I choose not to whine and blame others, but, rather, take the bull by the horns and produce most of my food in a way I'm comfortable with, but it's not all about that...there's much more to it...it's not just that it may be healthier, but it tastes better and farming in a more natural way just makes sense from an investment standpoint.

~Martin

re; Raw Milk

Sure there are risks in drinking raw milk, you can't eliminate all risks in life...but I've drank raw milk all of my life, as well as my parents and much of my immediate family, as did my grand parents and great grandparents, and countless generations before them, all of our lives and as far as i know, nobody has gotten sick.

This isn't a recommendation, do what you're comfortable with.

Having said that, raw milk can still be heat treated and be FAR superior to the crap sold in stores.

~Martin

Thanks for the info Chef JJ and I know there are risks but as Martin says it can be heat treated and still taste like milk. I did see the recalls on lots of the Organic Milk and don't buy it. I didn't think pure raw milk was legal to sell in the US, but I could be wrong, just thought I read that somewhere on the net. Anyway, the farm with the raw milk is farther than I want to drive, but I'm going to research their product some more for my own peace of mind. I can remember skimming the cream off the top...good stuff IMHO!

Martin, you hit the nail on the head about how much better home grown food is not too mention we know what we are eating and we don't have all the packaging that we end up throwing away.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky