Do you clean your grates?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Another option is a self cleaning oven. They work great for cleaning cast iron smoker and grill grates.

As for me, as soon as the grates (mine are chromed steel) are cool enough to touch I clean them and then store them in the kitchen cabinet devoted to outdoor cooking!
icon_wink.gif

As others have mentioned, I hit them with the brush after each use. When I get ready to go again I let the grill or pit get screamin' hot, wet my brush and get after the grates once more before putting the meat on.

I know that folks use wire brushes to clean the grates. However, I've seen reports where some of the wires come loose and and end up in the food. Once ingested, they can cause tears in the bowels and require major surgery.

I've found that like oven cleaning settings, high heat can carbonize the stuck on food and oils(fat) and render them harmless. Seasoning cast iron pans and woks requires oils to be spread on the surfaces and then heated on high heat. This forms a sort of non stick surface.

I use a propane torch (like the soldering type, i.e. Benzomatic) to heat the grill grates and carbonize any food residue on the grates. The high heat also creates a non stick surface over time. Fast and easy.  Of course, you can build a hot fire in the grill/smoker and rotate the grates over the high heat-but this takes time and wastes a lot of the charcoal.

Mine have a build up on them but it's smooth like non stick.. so I leave it and just heat up the chunks and scrape those off . I stopped trying to have all sparkling chrome on the ECB grates. As long as its not rough .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky