Do I dare inject the birds after they are already cooked?? Need your input.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
I have 9 turkeys in a brine that are going onto my smoker today which will be given to several different people and they will reheat it on Thanksgiving day. They will place the bird in a pan with a rack and add some broth to the bottom and cover in foil which will hopefully keep the bird nice and juicy. My question is do I dare inject the birds today after they are smoked and cooled to give the bird some extra moisture when heating up on Thanksgiving day? My only concern is once I start injecting the bird after it is cooked and cooled I am going to let out some of the natural juices that are already in the bird with all of my needle holes. I would like to give it some extra moisture for when they reheat. I figured a nice mixture of butter and chicken broth would be nice. What are you thoughts? Man its almost time to get these birds in the smoker. I better get rolling.

Never have done an after cook injection.

IMO , If you let the birds rest and the natural juices redistribute then inject ,You shouldn't lose any moisture. I  don't know what to inject with.

I would think that butter would set up when cool and then cause a very oily spot when reheated. Maybe just defatted ,low sodium chicken broth???

icon_cool.gif

I'm with Bob on this one and WHY would you inject after you smoke the bird. I think that it would make puddles of the injection in the meat. Now it will be juicy anyway there Rbrans.

I don't know if i need to inject after they are cooked or not. They will be reheating these on Thanksgiving so I wanted as much juice as possible in them. Maybe I will just forget about it and see how they turn out and if they are a bit dry then next year I will modify them. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky