• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Do I dare inject the birds after they are already cooked?? Need your input.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
I have 9 turkeys in a brine that are going onto my smoker today which will be given to several different people and they will reheat it on Thanksgiving day. They will place the bird in a pan with a rack and add some broth to the bottom and cover in foil which will hopefully keep the bird nice and juicy. My question is do I dare inject the birds today after they are smoked and cooled to give the bird some extra moisture when heating up on Thanksgiving day? My only concern is once I start injecting the bird after it is cooked and cooled I am going to let out some of the natural juices that are already in the bird with all of my needle holes. I would like to give it some extra moisture for when they reheat. I figured a nice mixture of butter and chicken broth would be nice. What are you thoughts? Man its almost time to get these birds in the smoker. I better get rolling.

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Never have done an after cook injection.

IMO , If you let the birds rest and the natural juices redistribute then inject ,You shouldn't lose any moisture. I  don't know what to inject with.

I would think that butter would set up when cool and then cause a very oily spot when reheated. Maybe just defatted ,low sodium chicken broth???

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

I'm with Bob on this one and WHY would you inject after you smoke the bird. I think that it would make puddles of the injection in the meat. Now it will be juicy anyway there Rbrans.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
I don't know if i need to inject after they are cooked or not. They will be reheating these on Thanksgiving so I wanted as much juice as possible in them. Maybe I will just forget about it and see how they turn out and if they are a bit dry then next year I will modify them. 

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.