DIY Chimney Draft

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maple man

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Hello Folks,

I cannot remember how to build a draft to go inside of a stove pipe, I have done it before but due to a previous medical condition it affected my memory. I know it is a rather simple task but I cannot remember exactly how it is done for the life of me. It is aggravating when I cannot do something that I know I have done before. Please could someone help me out and discuss with me how to build this draft? I have the round metal piece for the draft plate already cut out. I remember that I had to get a bolt of some kind, but I do not remember what kind of bolt or how long of a bolt that I used. My stove pipe is 6 " in diameter. 

Thank you,

Maple Man

MapleMan, morning ....  Is this what you were thinking of ??
Hello Dave,

That is it. If I went to look for one in a store what are they actually called?. There was a person who had made one with a round flat piece of sheet metal, a long bolt, washers, and nuts, and a couple of screws. I made one also one time for myself but since I had a mini stroke I cannot remember how I did it. Do you know if there is a posting of this anywhere on this forum or somewhere else where I can see how it is done again. 

Thanks,

Raymond

Hello Raymond and welcome.  It's called a flue damper.  "Store bought" dampers as shown by DaveOmak have about a 1/2" gap all round.  This one has given me fits also..  I was a welder fabricator for about 18yrs. and I can't figure out an easy way to design one.  If it is at the end of the stack run it's no problem but to put it 6"-10" down inside the stack without splicing the stack has me stumped.  I have come up with an elaborate solution of threading a solid bar and nuts and bolts but it all depends on you being able to get your hand down the stack pipe.  If someone has a easy method I hope they post it.  Sorry I couldn't offer some help.  Maybe try to post your question in ALL the smoker builds and OTHER builds forums.  I hope someone has an idea and if they do please let me know.  Good Luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Mapleman ,hello.

Your problem can be canned with a metal can like Peaches com in...try different size cans and find what fits better. This is cheaper and if you are going to go with an open chimney , you don't need fancy ,besides the rain can still get around the edges of the damper. JMHO.

Hello Raymond and welcome.  It's called a flue damper.  "Store bought" dampers as shown by DaveOmak have about a 1/2" gap all round.  This one has given me fits also..  I was a welder fabricator for about 18yrs. and I can't figure out an easy way to design one.  If it is at the end of the stack run it's no problem but to put it 6"-10" down inside the stack without splicing the stack has me stumped.  I have come up with an elaborate solution of threading a solid bar and nuts and bolts but it all depends on you being able to get your hand down the stack pipe.  If someone has a easy method I hope they post it.  Sorry I couldn't offer some help.  Maybe try to post your question in ALL the smoker builds and OTHER builds forums.  I hope someone has an idea and if they do please let me know.  Good Luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny
Hello Danny,

The store boughten one that is shown by Dave is the flue damper that I am talking about. I had made a flue damper a few years ago and it was simple to make and worked really well, and it was a fairly tight seal when I closed the damper. There was no 1/2" gap all the the way around, there might have been an 1/8" and it worked well and very easy to make. If I ever find it again I will send you a copy of how to make it. I had it on my other hard drive and it died on me.  It was made by a guy that had a handle Rancid Crabtree from Wisconsin, who made himself a smokehouse. That is all that I can remember and I cannot find the posting anymore on the net, and since I had a mini stroke I cannot remember how to do it. I wonder how much smoke and heat I will lose with a store bought one like this 6" flue damper.

Would I be better of waiting and making my own again or using a store bought one, they are $6.99 plus tax? I like to use whatever I can make myself because the funds are scarce here since I have been sick.

Thank you,

Raymond

Here us a cool stack damper........ and very cool mods to his smoker.......  

JohnnyT's thread   New Twist To An Old Smoker.

900x900px-LL-5f80b4d5_image.jpg

Last edited:
Maple Man, todays your lucky day (maybe). With the handle you gave, I put my google-fu to work and I think I found your missing post.

http://forums.bowhunting.com/game-p...ing/34617-building-new-smoker.html#post471339

Its post number #3 (I linked directly to the post) and about 10 pictures down.

And interesting read if I do say so myself.
Thats the one Influencer. Thanks. I couldn't find that no wheres, I tried my best and I just couldn't seem to find it. He did do a nice job on his smoker. Thanks for the help in finding that again for me, much appreciated, It makes a cheap damper and it works great.

Thanks.

Raymond 

I was cleaning up my shed today and I came across a damper that measures 6 1/8". I have not tried to mount it with the shaft, but I can get it up into the stove pipe and when I try and turn it to close it, it turns until there is about an inch more and stops there. It is not straight across the pipe. I am wondering if I should try this damper or not? How far down from the top of the pipe should I install the damper, it never came with directions and I can't remember and I installed the other one?

Thank you,

Raymond

Man that Smoke house build was a good read.. Cool story .

My smoker has the flat round piece that turns just like the one DaveOMak posted a pic of .My old smoker just had about 3 of maybe 4 inch pipe I never felt it was large enough .. Sometimes you need lots of draw to get it started.

Thats the one Influencer. Thanks. I couldn't find that no wheres, I tried my best and I just couldn't seem to find it. He did do a nice job on his smoker. Thanks for the help in finding that again for me, much appreciated, It makes a cheap damper and it works great.

Thanks.

Raymond 
I have fine tuned my google-fu to the point I can find (almost) anything. The other day I was trying to find my bosses facebook profile and managed to find his last job, home value + how many beds & baths, current and past 3 addresses, wifes name, yearly salary... but no facebook profile.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky