Disney Style Turkey Legs, 24 hours enough time?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hyphen

Original poster
Mar 28, 2018
Los Angeles
Do you guys figure 24 hours is enough time in the brine? I have 4 legs averaging around 2lbs each. They were sitting in a wet curing brine for about 24 hours, give or take an hour. I pulled them and gave them a wash because I was afraid them getting too salty. Do you guys figure this was a little early? I was gonna let them dry in the fridge until early afternoon on Thanksgiving.

If the consensus is that this is too early I can still make another brine.

I just did some pork chops in a brine for 72 hours and thought they could have gone longer. I now have a bunch of turkey legs in pops brine. I put them in Sunday night and will pull them tonight after work, rinse and dry then let them hang out in fridge until I put them on smoker Thursday morning.
It is my first time doing the legs so I am not much help. I think 24 hours will be fine though.

The ROT for curing here is 1/4" per day. As long as you hot smoke you are safe but just might not have the depth of flavor. I inject and that speeds the process up considerably but still usually cure a week. If using known brines like Pop's there is much less risk of salty meat. Pops low salt is my got to for turkey.

Reactions: hyphen
For a 24 hour cure I use 4 TBS of cure#1 in Pops brine. The max is 5 TBS per gallon of water. It’s a spur of the minute quick cure & I have done it a bunch of times.
Al

Reactions: hyphen
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky