• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Disney Style Turkey Legs, 24 hours enough time?

hyphen

Joined Mar 28, 2018
Do you guys figure 24 hours is enough time in the brine? I have 4 legs averaging around 2lbs each. They were sitting in a wet curing brine for about 24 hours, give or take an hour. I pulled them and gave them a wash because I was afraid them getting too salty. Do you guys figure this was a little early? I was gonna let them dry in the fridge until early afternoon on Thanksgiving.

If the consensus is that this is too early I can still make another brine.

ryansguitars

Joined Jun 24, 2013
I just did some pork chops in a brine for 72 hours and thought they could have gone longer. I now have a bunch of turkey legs in pops brine. I put them in Sunday night and will pull them tonight after work, rinse and dry then let them hang out in fridge until I put them on smoker Thursday morning.
It is my first time doing the legs so I am not much help. I think 24 hours will be fine though.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
The ROT for curing here is 1/4" per day. As long as you hot smoke you are safe but just might not have the depth of flavor. I inject and that speeds the process up considerably but still usually cure a week. If using known brines like Pop's there is much less risk of salty meat. Pops low salt is my got to for turkey.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
For a 24 hour cure I use 4 TBS of cure#1 in Pops brine. The max is 5 TBS per gallon of water. It’s a spur of the minute quick cure & I have done it a bunch of times.
Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.