• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Disney Style (Cured) Chicken Legs

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 1, 2019
I did a Google search for Disney Turkey legs. Most of the brines are curing brines, several recipes had some aromatics added. One article said Disney buys legs from huge turkeys, like 50# birds! So I guess I've been making Disney Drumsticks for a long time.... :emoji_laughing:

uD2b3jn.jpg

jcam222

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 13, 2017
I am also curious where Disney comes into play
Cured smoked turkey legs are the top or closed to top selling food at Disney. These look great. I’ll have to try it with chicken, I’ve done turkey and they were awesome. People devoured them. I love that rack too. Going to order one tonight!

Fueling Around

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
After many years of eating turkey .. discovered I don't like turkey. I do love chicken.
Chicken legs pretty cheap meat.
There should be a glut of turkey legs on the market with all the local festivals, county fairs, and concerts being canceled this year?
JckDanls 07 JckDanls 07 BandCollector BandCollector asked the questions
The cure is high (no extremely high) to the amount of water, # of meat, and time.
What is the equalization time?

chilerelleno

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2016
Personally I wouldn't use the cure, really no need for it.
Okay, so you're just fine with Brined poultry, brining it has it's benefits and makes for juicy and tender meats.
No need for the Cure?
Then these wouldn't be what they are.
You must realize that there is a distinct flavor to Cured poultry just as in other meats, e.g. bacon.
And that very distinct flavor is what makes these a favorite of many.

Last edited:

Jabiru

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 5, 2019
They look very tasty, nice job. I haven’t done legs for a long time, think it may be time.

I always brine poultry and sometimes I’ll add cure, mainly if I am cold smoking Or want that taste. I like with and without cure.

actech

Meat Mopper
Joined Sep 28, 2013
Got the collapsible version of those leg holder at Menards. Not sure if they’d be in stock late in season. Also got one that came on a metal tray that works good for veggies cooking in the juices that drip down.

stayhot

Joined Jul 12, 2011
Okay, so you're just fine with Brined poultry, brining it has it's benefits and makes for juicy and tender meats.
No need for the Cure?
Then these wouldn't be what they are.
You must realize that there is a distinct flavor to Cured poultry just as in other meats, e.g. bacon.
And that very distinct flavor is what makes these a favorite of many.
Maybe for cold smoking but what's the benefit if hot smoking?

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.