Disco's Pepper Back Bacon....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 13, 2017
Saugus, California
YaHoo! It's Pelical Day!
Out of the curing bag and into a bath. In an hour, it's onto the rack for it's pelical forming.
I'm off to Disco's to refresh on the Pepper Back (Candian) Bacon.
All right! 4 tsp cracked black peppercorns after the pelical, just before the smoker.
(I don't know why I get a brain fart about that timing...:emoji_rolling_eyes:)

Onward through the Fog.....

Now, I tend to err to the long side on my curing, so I've chosen 14 days as my cure time. It just works for me. No doubt about it. I use that time frame for Slab or Loin Bacon.
Slow cookin - slow curin - cold smokin. Just suits me.

This might hit a stall due to weather. It's storming here till Thursday or Fryday. So since I don't have to get wet, I'll likely wait out the storm.
It's growing season. This is the time of year we grow this years brush for fire season. And Oh! How we love our Brush Fires out here!

Gotta go feed the Grandson....

Can't go wrong with a Disco recipe. Imma watching.

Chris

Reactions: SonnyE
OK, damn the storms, I set up a patio umbrella, Peppered my Pelicalated chunk of cured Pork Loin, and hung it on a hook in the MES 40 cold smoker. The AMNPS is rollin along with Apple wood Dust, at a controlled 73-76 degree warmth.

20190116_131410.jpg 20190116_131344.jpg 20190116_131315.jpg
1. TP-08 is F, IBT is Discoized
2. Hangin my Bacon
3. TBS. That thin, blue smoke.

I think when your bacon is hanging, it's just plain... Sexy.... :emoji_laughing:

OK, damn the storms, I set up a patio umbrella, Peppered my Pelicalated chunk of cured Pork Loin, and hung it on a hook in the MES 40 cold smoker. The AMNPS is rollin along with Apple wood Dust, at a controlled 73-76 degree warmth.

View attachment 385663 View attachment 385665 View attachment 385666
1. TP-08 is F, IBT is Discoized
2. Hangin my Bacon
3. TBS. That thin, blue smoke.

I think when your bacon is hanging, it's just plain... Sexy.... :emoji_laughing:
Not according to She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Sonny got the bug..

I actually basically roll my bacon in black pepper and then let it form pellicle, it just works for me.

Now I'll make proper buttermilk biscuits and be on over Sonny!

Whats on the top rack?

A short piece of copper pipe. When more hunks are hanging, it spreads the weight.
But more importantly to me is it helps center the bacon hooks. The racks don't have a center span, so the piece of pipe was my "quick fix" to center it up.
I know... I'm weird.... LOL! :emoji_laughing:

Waiting for the results.
Gary

Sorry Gary, when the rain slows down.
Right now it looks great and is aging in the curing fridge.

Daveomak and I were chatting and he mentioned he has a small fridge he uses.
I was afraid I would raise the hackles of hell if I put smoky smelling Bacon in the house fridge, and made everything "stink" of smoke.
So a very quick check, and I got in on the last day of a sale on small fridges. I got a Whirlpool 4.3 Cu Ft, no freezer, mini fridge for my doghouse. So for $117, I narrowly averted raising hell around here.

One small drawback though. All my cold cans of Beer smell like smoked Bacon now. It depends on one's point of view, but I like the smell on my cans... :emoji_wink:

Home made no box mix. Ha I use Jiffy mix corn bread. :emoji_laughing:
Actually we use Pillsbury ready made frozen butter milk biscuits.
Warren

Jiffy Mix here too. When I shop, I go Old School. My Dad used Jiffy Mix when I was a smaller kid.
And Bisquick was a staple. When I was 6, I'd get up on a Saturday and make pancakes. I loved Pancakes!
No doubt Mom or Dad was watching around the corner. But I got to be an exspurt at making Pancakes for the Family.
I can still knock out stacks of hot buttered Pancakes.
And now, finally, Home Cured and Smoked Bacon. :emoji_heart_eyes:

Sonny got the bug..

I actually basically roll my bacon in black pepper and then let it form pellicle, it just works for me.

Now I'll make proper buttermilk biscuits and be on over Sonny!

I considered that, Tom. But thought I would follow Disco's lead for my first Peppered Back Bacon.
Good chance I'll roll it wet next time. My coffee grinder crack black peppercorns didn't seem to want to stick well.
But I did "Git R Done!"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky