Disabled man needs help picking a smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bloodbath

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Corpus Christi, TX
I am totally disabled and am in a wheelchair or power chair. My arms function fine but have neck and back issues. I want to purchase a smoker, but I'm not sure what to get.

Here are the details:
  • I am thinking I MIGHT need a vertical smoker for the door opening horizontally rather than vertically (leverage).
  • I would prefer charcoal/wood over electric.
  • I need easy clean up.
  • I need as close to set and forget as I can get.
  • I will be cooking briskets and shoulder clods, most of the time.
  • I cook low and slow.
  • I want something that will last.
  • I absolutely want a great smoke ring
  • My budget is $500 max, preferably $400 if possible
I have been cooking briskets forever, as any native Texan should :emoji_sunglasses:, and have a reputation for awesome briskets. Please help me find the right smoker.
Thank you, so much

PS. I hope I am in the correct forum.

I know of one person who was confined to a wheel chair and said that the Grilla pellet grill worked great for him. He stated that it was easy to use and get around. Just my $0.02

I hope you can find a unit to your liking.

JC :emoji_cat:

Have you thought about a 26" Weber Kettle? They are easy to use, clean and will last a long time.

Maybe something to consider.

Chris

I know of one person who was confined to a wheel chair and said that the Grilla pellet grill worked great for him. He stated that it was easy to use and get around. Just my $0.02

I hope you can find a unit to your liking.

JC :emoji_cat:
The smallest one is over $500, and I don't think it will accommodate a shoulder clod. Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: JC in GB
Have you thought about a 26" Weber Kettle? They are easy to use, clean and will last a long time.

Maybe something to consider.

Chris
My concerns about a Weber are 1) how easily I could lift and replace the lid, and 2) could I cook a clod on it low and slow. Please let me know. Thank you so much for your reply.

My concerns about a Weber are 1) how easily I could lift and replace the lid, and 2) could I cook a clod on it low and slow. Please let me know. Thank you so much for your reply.

The 26" kettle definitely, and I think the newer 22" kettles have what they call the slide aside lid holder. Basically you just slide the lid over the top of the kettle and it drops into a holder attached to the side of the kettle. Shouldn't be a problem. I can do this sitting in a normal lawn chair.

Clods and briskets will easily fit in the 26". You may have to add charcoal during the cook, but if you use a slow-n-sear you should get close to 8 hours. With the flip up grates adding charcoal is easy to do.

Here's a pic of some ribs I did a while back. You can see the slow-n-sear at the top of the grill, and can sort of see the kettle lid over to the right side in the slide-aside. Sorry I couldn't find a better pic.

1593448519843.png

Reactions: sawhorseray
The 26" kettle definitely, and I think the newer 22" kettles have what they call the slide aside lid holder. Basically you just slide the lid over the top of the kettle and it drops into a holder attached to the side of the kettle. Shouldn't be a problem. I can do this sitting in a normal lawn chair.

Clods and briskets will easily fit in the 26". You may have to add charcoal during the cook, but if you use a slow-n-sear you should get close to 8 hours. With the flip up grates adding charcoal is easy to do.

Here's a pic of some ribs I did a while back. You can see the slow-n-sear at the top of the grill, and can sort of see the kettle lid over to the right side in the slide-aside. Sorry I couldn't find a better pic.

View attachment 451657
Thank you do much for your reply! Kudos!

Ok maybe I'm out in left field here but a vertical pellet smoker might be worth looking at. Especially for set it and forget use.

I'm in the same Boat, er a, Wheelchair, when I cook. I had a MES on a utility cart that made access easy while sitting. I'm looking to replace the MES and the Masterbuilt Gravity Grill looks like it should fit my needs. With Grate dimensions of 22"×15", I think it should hold a Shoulder Clod. Besides, if some trimming to fit is required, the Chuck yields some nice Steak, Stew or Burger Beef...JJ

OK Guys...Thank you all so much! I have decided to buy the Weber 22" Master touch Grill. The reason I didn't choose the 26" is the MUCH higher cost of accessories (IE slow-n-sear for 22" $60 and for the 26" $150!). I cannot tell you guys how much I appreciate all your help!!! Thank you again :emoji_wave:

Just a heads up, the Slow-n-Sear for the 22" will work in the 26" kettle - as will the medium Vortex if you wanted to go that route also.

Chris

Just for your reference here is a pic of my 22" vs 26". It should show you why I recommended the 26"

1593510566565.png

The 26" cooking grate" It's also a good shot of the slide-aside.
1593510659315.png

...and here's a pic of the 22" lid on the 26" grate:
1593510761722.png

Chris

Awesome pics, Chris!! . Don't you think the 22" lid will be easier for me to handle? How much heavier is the lid on the 26'? Also, there are no 26" kettle to be found anywhere that I can find

Last edited:
Awesome pics, Chris!! . Don't you think the 22" lid will be easier for me to handle? How much heavier is the lid on the 26'? Also, there are no 26" kettle to be found anywhere that I can find

Hey Bloodbath, Good questions. I just went outside to pick up both lids, and the 22" lid is lighter then the 26". How much I can't say for sure, but if I were to guess - maybe a pound or so. With that being said I also sat in the green lawn chair(1st pic in post 15) and tried to slide the lid off the 26" kettle. I was able to slide it off the kettle into it's holder very easily. My 22" kettle doesn't have the slide aside and I have to actually lift it off the kettle and hook it onto the side. It is a little more cumbersome taking the lid off the 22" this way. I understand that most places don't stock the 26" kettle and it has to be ordered. I ordered mine from Lowes and received in within a week. With the covid I'm not sure that's a reality these days. I'm not even sure if the Weber factory is up and running yet.

Also I want to add that I'm about 6'6" and 290 pounds. So a tad larger then what's considered normal size. So when I'm sitting in a chair taking the lid off it may be different then what you'd experience. I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, or influence your purchasing something you can't or would have difficulty using. I just want to help you understand some of the options out there. If you have any other questions - please feel free to ask. I'll try to answer them as quickly as possible.

Chris

I think you should really open up to electric. I think wood/charcoal is on the opposite spectrum of fire and forget especially if you are talking about smoking briskets.

So whats more important to you, using wood/charcoal or fire and forget?

. Don't you think the 22" lid will be easier for me to handle?
Yes , as long as it has the lid holder . I have a 26 , that I bought after seeing the one Chris got . I absolutely love it !
I also have a performer deluxe .
The lid on the 26 is heavy , and takes a different approach for me to get it open . The reason I think it works so well as a smoker , is because of the heavy gauge lid . All the parts are beefed up , because they have a greater distance to span .
Now , I should mention that shoulder , hand and wrist surgery plays a factor for me . I'd have a hard time lifting the lid on the 26 sitting down . Sliding it over not to bad , but the reach for me is a problem .
Like Chris , just trying to help . Be nice if you could see a 26 in person .
Like I said , I love the 26 .
You might check out the performer line of the 22 .
Performer
Performer premium , and
Performer deluxe .
This is my deluxe . Propane starter assist , charcoal storage , lid holder , table top and the four wheels makes it easy to move if needed . Tool hooks on the front . I miss all these adds when using my 26 .
20190629_130605.jpg

Hey Bloodbath, Good questions. I just went outside to pick up both lids, and the 22" lid is lighter then the 26". How much I can't say for sure, but if I were to guess - maybe a pound or so. With that being said I also sat in the green lawn chair(1st pic in post 15) and tried to slide the lid off the 26" kettle. I was able to slide it off the kettle into it's holder very easily. My 22" kettle doesn't have the slide aside and I have to actually lift it off the kettle and hook it onto the side. It is a little more cumbersome taking the lid off the 22" this way. I understand that most places don't stock the 26" kettle and it has to be ordered. I ordered mine from Lowes and received in within a week. With the covid I'm not sure that's a reality these days. I'm not even sure if the Weber factory is up and running yet.

Also I want to add that I'm about 6'6" and 290 pounds. So a tad larger then what's considered normal size. So when I'm sitting in a chair taking the lid off it may be different then what you'd experience. I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction, or influence your purchasing something you can't or would have difficulty using. I just want to help you understand some of the options out there. If you have any other questions - please feel free to ask. I'll try to answer them as quickly as possible.

Chris

I was going to suggest an electric MES 40, but I'm only 6' 3" and 225 lbs, and I'm not messing with Chris!!! So you might want to check out those Kettles, like Chris said!!!

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky