Dino Ribs, an almost attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Inspired by Robert's write up earlier this month I set out to see for the first time how good these ribs are. Had a dual cryo-pack of Piedmontese 4 bone Chuck Short Ribs that were going to be smoked for the larger family. Having never smoked them before, I cautioned them this was going to be an experiment. Kinda out of character for me as I've never prepared a new main course the first time for anyone but the wife and myself, but hey it was family. Simple approach after thawing in the garage fridge for the last few days, opened & patted dry. Applied a generous amount of 50-50 cracked black pepper and salt. Definitely going the Texas brisket direction.

Dino_1_IMG_5305.jpg
Dino_2_IMG_5306.jpg

Got the smoker up to high smoke temp (~ 180º) and in they went. After an hour bumped to 250º where it stayed. They looked really good after 4.5 hours, great pull back and color. Started probing but not done.

Dino_3_IMG_5311.jpg

Probing continued every 1/2 hour. By the time the 6 hour mark came around there were a couple of places still not perfect but the dinner hour was rapidly approaching. As you probably have guessed, this is where the 'almost' part came in. I went ahead pulled, double wrapped in foil hoping the residual heat would get them there. Well the flavor was spot on and they were very moist. The meat however was chewy. Not the dry type of chewy but the best I can describe, it was a bit spongy.

Dino_5_IMG_5314.JPG
Dino_6_IMG_5315.JPG

ARGH, what a stupid rookie mistake! You get so used to smoking proteins you can do it in your sleep but with something new I always should start early and leave more than enough time for the unknowns. The good news, it won't happen the next round since detailed notes were taken including a reminder to start early enough to ensure there isn't a repeat.

What's that saying from the first Star Wars movie.... "Don't get cocky kid! "

Last edited:
Sorry you were disappointed. However they do look good. I smoked a rack of cpb ribs last week. Same size as yours. Took 9hr at 250. So tender the bone pulled right out. You'll nail it next time

Sorry you were disappointed. However they do look good. I smoked a rack of cpb ribs last week. Same size as yours. Took 9hr at 250. So tender the bone pulled right out. You'll nail it next time
Thanks Jake! No question they got pulled too early. Appreciate your input on the timing. I've added that to my notes.

What a shame they didn't come out well. They looked perfect. I guess ya live and learn. At least you were able to eat them. My first time doing these was a disaster so you're doing a lot better than some of us :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Yup I almost never smoke for a meal. I smoke for the next weeks meals LOL. Must be nice to be able to afford 230 worth of meat - shipping lol. I feel victorious when I can get ground beef for $2 a lb ll
It not an every day sort of thing but every once in a while I'll experiment. With usual cuts like brisket, butts, St. Louis etc., smoking for that day's meal is pretty normal here.

What a shame they didn't come out well. They looked perfect. I guess ya live and learn. At least you were able to eat them. My first time doing these was a disaster so you're doing a lot better than some of us :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Yup, definitely a live and learn experience Robert. What wrangles me is making the simple mistake of not starting soon enough to cover the possibility they would need more time in the smoker.

They look really good and at least you could still eat them and next time you'll nail them! Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate the kind words, thanks!

Inspired by Robert's write up earlier this month I set out to see for the first time how good these ribs are. Had a dual cryo-pack of Piedmontese 4 bone Chuck Short Ribs that were going to be smoked for the larger family. Having never smoked them before, I cautioned them this was going to be an experiment. Kinda out of character for me as I've never prepared a new main course the first time for anyone but the wife and myself, but hey it was family. Simple approach after thawing in the garage fridge for the last few days, opened & patted dry. Applied a generous amount of 50-50 cracked black pepper and salt. Definitely going the Texas brisket direction.

View attachment 643897 View attachment 643898

Got the smoker up to high smoke temp (~ 180º) and in they went. After an hour bumped to 250º where it stayed. They looked really good after 4.5 hours, great pull back and color. Started probing but not done.

View attachment 643899

Probing continued every 1/2 hour. By the time the 6 hour mark came around there were a couple of places still not perfect but the dinner hour was rapidly approaching. As you probably have guessed, this is where the 'almost' part came in. I went ahead pulled, double wrapped in foil hoping the residual heat would get them there. Well the flavor was spot on and they were very moist. The meat however was chewy. Not the dry type of chewy but the best I can describe, it was a bit spongy.

View attachment 643900 View attachment 643901

ARGH, what a stupid rookie mistake! You get so used to smoking proteins you can do it in your sleep but with something new I always should start early and leave more than enough time for the unknowns. The good news, it won't happen the next round since detailed notes were taken including a reminder to start early enough to ensure there isn't a repeat.

What's that saying from the first Star Wars movie.... "Don't get cocky kid! "
Yup did same last week, looked and tasted the part, pulled after 7 hours....needed a couple more. I need to get my "feel" for probe tender, obviously not what I thought.

7.jpg

Reactions: schlotz
Probe tender gets a slight more difficult with bone in meat. I have moments of doubt myself. Practice makes perfect
yep, guess I need to keep trying...damn! lol taste was great but not as tender as I think they should of been. At least it was not a CPB rack...lol

Those are some darn good looking bones there Matt!
I have a pack of those in the freezer too!
I’ve decided to not buy any more meat until I empty out our freezers. Probably take a couple of years!
Al

Matt you were right there . They sure look good though . I can relate to the texture by seeing the cut shot . I know they were good though . Had to have great flavor .

Yup did same last week, looked and tasted the part, pulled after 7 hours....needed a couple more. I need to get my "feel" for probe tender, obviously not what I thought.
Yeah, the feel combined with the dinner clock is never a good combination.

Those are some darn good looking bones there Matt!
I have a pack of those in the freezer too!
I’ve decided to not buy any more meat until I empty out our freezers. Probably take a couple of years!
Al
Sounds like a great position to be in Al. When you do the Dino's plan for 9 hours or so in the smoker assuming 250º per Jakes first comment above. I'm convinced that was the only issue with mine, just needed more time.

Matt you were right there . They sure look good though . I can relate to the texture by seeing the cut shot . I know they were good though . Had to have great flavor .
They were good and had great flavor, just not tender. Just a re-learning process to always ensure smoking time is amply uncoupled from dinner time.

Matt, they still look great from where I am sitting.
But yeah, what a difference an hour or two can make in the final product.
I'd still tear 'em up, though.

Stu

Yeah, we still ate them up but not as good as they could have been. Learning experience 101 seems to pop up every now and then, regardless of my time spent smoking. Guess it's part of the CRS syndrome as you approach your 70s. Thanks Stu!

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
At least the looked tasty! Should make for some nice left overs and yes practice makes perfect. I always my dino bones at 265, then wrap for a while then finish with a glaze after they get the giggle.... the key for dinner timing is that I hold them at 170 in the oven till 30 min before din din time the unwrap and glaze....

Hey Stu, while it sometimes can help, most of time CRS is a real PITA. :emoji_laughing:

At least the looked tasty! Should make for some nice left overs and yes practice makes perfect. I always my dino bones at 265, then wrap for a while then finish with a glaze after they get the giggle.... the key for dinner timing is that I hold them at 170 in the oven till 30 min before din din time the unwrap and glaze....
Appreciate the info, I'll add it to my notes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky