Dino Beef Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KC_Smoker

Original poster
Jan 16, 2019
Independence MO
I went to a new butcher store and they had 30 day dry aged beef ribs for $4.59 lb. I have never tried beef ribs before but I have wanted to and it was a good price so I picked them up. This one was 6 lbs so I figured they would take around 6 to 8 hours to cook. After 7 hours in the smoker at 235* the IT was only at 180. I cranked the WSM up to 350 for the last hour and a half to get them to 203* for dinner at 8pm. They turned out good but there was a lot of fat chunks on these ribs but the meat was good. If you have cooked these big beef ribs before did yours have big chunks of fat on them or did I just get a fatty piece of meat? Maybe next time I need to trim them before smoking them but the butcher told me to just smoke them how they were. I will try these again.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 14
I just smoked my first beef ribs about a week ago. I took Chilerellano's advise and trimmed the fat off so the seasonings could penetrate the meat, glad I did, they came out great. The ribs have plenty of fat marbled into the meat, not a bad idea to trim off all that fat that you can see. RAY

You got some very fatty ribs.
Looking at those, they are much fattier than any others that I've seen.
The fat layer atop the bones is very thick, no way you're going to render enough of that out.
I would've passed on those.

Both Chuck and Plate short ribs have a lot of intramuscular fat and veins of fat running atop the bones, Plates moreso than Chucks.
And it generally renders very well and is a significant part of what makes short ribs so damned tasty.

You still can't beat good beef ribs even if you have to chew around the fat. Personally, if the fat has a crust on it I'm all over it.
Al

Reactions: kit s
They do look a tad fattie, but I'm a betting they were still really good.

Point for sure
Chris

You still can't beat good beef ribs even if you have to chew around the fat. Personally, if the fat has a crust on it I'm all over it.
Al

Amen to that, Al !!
I like my Meat Med/Rare, but I like my Beef Fat Well Done!

BTW: Looks Great, KC!!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: kit s
I picked up two racks of 4 ribs each, equally fatty. I trimmed the fat and silver skin off... but did you or should I cut each each into 2x2 rather than 4 across? Thinking I could get more edge rub, but concerned about quality and if they’d cook too fast and not get enough smoke

I picked up two racks of 4 ribs each, equally fatty. I trimmed the fat and silver skin off... but did you or should I cut each each into 2x2 rather than 4 across? Thinking I could get more edge rub, but concerned about quality and if they’d cook too fast and not get enough smoke

I would say 2 or 4 doesn't matter much.
I do them 2 ribs in one piece, but mine are already 2 bones in one, on the 5 pound Prime Rib I cut them from. I'd say whatever floats your boat on this one.
The only thing I wouldn't do is make them all singles.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky