Digital thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinsmoker23

Original poster
May 31, 2014
So I have 2 dual probe thermometers like pic I attached. Had them bout 3 years I guess. I did a boiling water test and both read 212F so i know thier accurate as far as meat probe goes.One probe is bad I think because it went to 230F on both machines.
So I have 1 good probe n 1 bad n 2 good digital thermometers. My question is..... Is there a way to test the oven part of probe to see if it's accurate?
I'm probably gonna by me a new thermometer that I saw on eBay for $21 I think it was. Picture is what I'm using now with 1 probe but one I saw is different with 2 separate probes instead of one also pictured.
Thanks

Attachments

• dsp1_cdn_wr.jpg
    dsp1_cdn_wr.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 7
  • s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Yes, all probes can be tested in both ice water and boiling water.
If the probes are not waterproof simply do not submerge past probe/wire connection.

The air temp probes can be tested just like the meat probes.
Simply submerge about half the probe in cold/hot water to test.
They should read 32° in ice water and 212° boiling water.

Chile gave ya some great info!

I would just like to add that if folks are at a higher altitude... your test in boiling water won't go to 212*. I'll attach a link (provided to me by Dirtsailor2003) to calculate the boiling temp at different altitudes, simply type in your altitude & it will tell ya the boiling point at your elevation.

For example, I'm just shy of 5,000 feet above sea level... My boiling point is 203*

http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html

My test did go to 212. Our altitude according to Google is 95' so that calculated to 211 using your link.
There actually we're 2 different answers according to Google 89' and 95' either way they both are 211.

Last edited:
2° ~ drop in boiling point every 1,000 ft. rule of thumb for the most part.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky