Different temps, same results

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bangstick

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 29, 2017
South Carolina
Since receiving my Camp Chef Woodwind, I've become a grilling/smoking show-watching fool. I watch as many of them as I do hunting and fishing shows. Anyway, I've been cooking my butts at 225 for 11-12 hours but I've been hearing more and more people on these grilling/smoking shows talking about cooking their butts at 270. And these weren't just "some guy." These are umpteen time Grand Champions and very successful competition cooker so when they speak, I listen. The last butts (2 weighing about 9lbs a piece) I cooked, I did so at 270. It was done (IT of 200) in about 7 hours. I had people coming over but they weren't due to arrive for another 2 hours so I put the butts in aluminum pans, covered them with foil and placed them in the oven set at 175 until the guests arrived. When I pulled them, they were as tender and juicy as the ones I cooked lower and slower. Sorry for being longwinded but my question is, why would I cook my butts at a lower temp for longer when I got the same results at a slightly higher temp for less time? Thanks.

Did you just answer your own question? Butts are forgiving and can easily be done at higher temps. In fact there are a lot of cuts that can be done higher than the go-to 220-250 range. Even Aaron Franklin does his briskets at the higher temp. There is no "right" way.

I smoke them at a higher temp also, 250 to 260* and I haven't noticed any difference. Most folks that like to go the low-n-slow route do so because they like the overnight cook.

Chris

Aaron Franklin cooks his briskets Hot-n-Fast and nobody can argue his results.

Why should you go Low-n-Slow?
You don't need to of you don't want to.
Potato/Potatoe
Same thing.

...and here I always thought that a potato was baked, split open with just butter, salt and pepper. While a potatoe was a baked potatoe split open and fancied up with sour cream and chives. For the hoity toity types. :)

Chris

I read that the difference in meat texture is quite small but that the pork has a silkier texture when cooked at the lower temp. What I read, can't remember from where, said that judges know and look for the difference but most people can't tell the difference.

...and here I always thought that a potato was baked, split open with just butter, salt and pepper. While a potatoe was a baked potatoe split open and fancied up with sour cream and chives. For the hoity toity types. :)

Chris

upload_2018-7-20_11-58-19.png
Who's that Dude!:eek: :D

Sorry for being longwinded but my question is, why would I cook my butts at a lower temp for longer when I got the same results at a slightly higher temp for less time?

No reason, if you're getting exactly the same results. With pellet grills however, many people feel they don't put enough smoke on the meat at higher temps. What some folks do is start at lower temps for an hour or so, then bump up the temp.

I read that the difference in meat texture is quite small but that the pork has a silkier texture when cooked at the lower temp. What I read, can't remember from where, said that judges know and look for the difference but most people can't tell the difference.

Interesting. Count me as "most people." My setup is "set and forget." I smoke overnight at 225F, then finish when I wake up at 275F or higher. Just did a butt yesterday. 15.75 hours, but it finished 3.5 hours after I woke up. Feels like a short smoke, not 16 hours.

Edit addition: And it was still partially frozen when I stuck it in the smoker. I expected a longer smoke than normal, but it still finished within my expected window. Ah, the thermodynamics of heat transfer.

What everyone is basically saying above.
I'm a hot and fast guy for the most part THOUGH with some meats I intentionally go way lower in temp so they get more time in the smoke for better flavor. That is my motivation for me intentionally going slower in certain cases.

I did some smoked 2 inch pork loin chops and had to drop the temp down to 190F to avoid them finishing in under 2 hours hahaha. I was able to drag them out to a 3 hour cook for excellent smoke flavor, but even at 225F they were going too fast for me.

I think I'm bout to start doing my ribs hotter and faster. I have slowed them down for more smoke but the color has been more black lately. I'm going to experiment and see if they finish in 3 hours at a higher temp if the color stays a nice mahogany lol. Simply just experimenting, I'm sure the'll come out tasting fine but probably have less smoke flavor :)

I'm a hot & fast guy too. I used to do butts & brisket low & slow for 20 hours+.
They were great, but hot & fast in half the time gives THE SAME results, & just as much smoke flavor & just as tender & juicy. The only advantage I see to doing low & slow is if you have a WSM with a BBQ Guru & set it up & sleep all night while the butt or brisket cooks, but I like to feed the Lang & drink some beers & get er done in 8-10 hours, although at my age I have to pace myself with the beers. Only one 12 pack in those 8-10 hours!! And maybe a couple of shots of Johnny Walker along the way!!!
Al

Reactions: bangstick and kit s

Chris

Actually it's always Potato, unless you ask a Quail.
Then it's Potatoe, just like it is Idahoe.

Bear

Reactions: kit s
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky