Did the upgrade to huddler go through yesterday as planed?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
I was watching all day yesterday for the upgrade/changes that are to take place to huddler yesterday but I have not noticed anything yet. Did the updates go through yet?

The only thing I noticed is what happened this morning.

It seems I started getting emails when people make comments after I did on some threads.

If that starts happening on every thread that I made a comment on, it could be a couple hundred emails per day, which would have to be stopped. I'll see how many of those come over the next couple days, before I worry about making it stop.

Bear

The only thing I noticed is what happened this morning.

It seems I started getting emails when people make comments after I did on some threads.

If that starts happening on every thread that I made a comment on, it could be a couple hundred emails per day, which would have to be stopped. I'll see how many of those come over the next couple days, before I worry about making it stop.

Bear

Same here. I went into My Profile and changed that setting. I don't really need it if I'm here half the day anyways.

I only had two, I can't imagine what you'd get a day Bear

I had to do the same.  It was sending me emails on anything I commented on.  I set settings to site only.  I get over a 100 emails already another hundred not needed

Are you guys subscribed to the threads? I have my set up so the only time I get an email is if I get a PM and I never subscribe to any threads. I just go back and read them if I want to see something further

Yes.. the upgrades went through without a hitch it seems..
  • Thumbs up - Now when you give someone a thumbs up using the icon at the bottom of each post, it allows you to leave them a message as well. With this upgrade, we are now beginning to quantify the  thumbs up data for each member which can later be rolled into an overall reputation score like we used to have. The ability to do that is there we just want to be careful how this is handled and that it is setup so that it benefits the site and does not open a can of worms. Stay tuned for more on that a little later.
  • Commenting - You are now able to comment on each others wikis, albums, pictures, and product reviews which is a great feature in my opinion. This will require you to go in and adjust the setting if you do not want to receive notification when someone comments on these things by you. This is a different setting than what is setup for your normal subscriptions. To turn off comment notifications by email, go to you User Profile page then click on "Edit Account Details" then uncheck the options under "Comment Notifications Preference".
  • Bumping system for Buy/Sell/Trade - There is now a way to bump your listings in the Buy/Sell/Trade area of the site up to the top to get more exposure. However, to make it fair, it is setup so that this can only be done once every 72 hours.

Thanks for the instructions to kill that notification thing.

I only had 12 of them in 3 hours, but it was a slow morning.

Bear

Anybody know when these things will stop coming??

24 hours maybe? Hopefully less.

I know it's not that big a deal to delete them, but I'm not the only one who uses this computer.

I clean out my reply box first thing, every time I get on the forum. I don't need them coming to me.

Bear

Explain to me what you are seeing, Bear. I've been on all day and haven't gotten anything. Are you getting comment notifications?

I'm getting them too. Can you just get the Subscription update everyday like I'm getting without getting all the individual subscription thread notifications.

1. Go to "My Profile"

2. Click on "Edit Account Details"

3. Un-check BOTH options under "Comment Notification Preferences"

Have you guys done this?

• Thumbs up - Now when you give someone a thumbs up using the icon at the bottom of each post, it allows you to leave them a message as well. With this upgrade, we are now beginning to quantify the  thumbs up data for each member which can later be rolled into an overall reputation score like we used to have. The ability to do that is there we just want to be careful how this is handled and that it is setup so that it benefits the site and does not open a can of worms. Stay tuned for more on that a little later.
  • Commenting - You are now able to comment on each others wikis, albums, pictures, and product reviews which is a great feature in my opinion. This will require you to go in and adjust the setting if you do not want to receive notification when someone comments on these things by you. This is a different setting than what is setup for your normal subscriptions. To turn off comment notifications by email, go to you User Profile page then click on "Edit Account Details" then uncheck the options under "Comment Notifications Preference".
  • Bumping system for Buy/Sell/Trade - There is now a way to bump your listings in the Buy/Sell/Trade area of the site up to the top to get more exposure. However, to make it fair, it is setup so that this can only be done once every 72 hours.
It looks like we allowed so many per day???  I gave some out and now it sez no more for a while!!!

Kindly enlighten me!

Craig

Last edited:
It looks like we allowed so many per day???  I gave some out and now it sez no more for a while!!!

Kindly enlighten me!

Craig

Craig, I don't know the answer to that but I will find out and report back once I get some details.

1. Go to "My Profile"

2. Click on "Edit Account Details"

3. Un-check BOTH options under "Comment Notification Preferences"

Have you guys done this?
Yes I did it around Noon, and they're still coming.

Got about 50 so far----38 since I unchecked those two boxes.

Bear

Explain to me what you are seeing, Bear. I've been on all day and haven't gotten anything. Are you getting comment notifications?
Jeff,

Here is what I'm seeing---So far about 80 of these type things in my email:

SmokingMeatForums.com Subscriptions Thread 'First try at snack sticks...One pic... Today           5:32 PM  Inbox - 

Then if I open them, here is some of what I see:

Hey Bearcarver!

Manage Subscriptions  | Manage Email Preferences
[h1]Subscription Notification: Thread 'First try at snack sticks...One picture.'[/h1]
A thread you subscribed to, First try at snack sticks...One picture., has been updated. les3176  replied to First try at snack sticks...One picture.  on February 1, 2:37 pm.

HAHAHA thats great!!!!... nice looking sview!!!!

Last edited:
Bear.. I have a couple of questions in trying to correct this issue with you receiving so many emails.

1. Are these emails notifying you of a comment that you have received? Copy one into a PM and send it to me if possible so I can better understand what you are receiving.

2. Prior to today, do you normally receive any notification emails on PM's, comments to your posts, or any of your subscriptions?

Thanks for your help...

Oh ok.. you answered part of my question while I was typing that. Or.. you are really, really fast
biggrin.gif

Oh ok.. you answered part of my question while I was typing that. Or.. you are really, really fast
biggrin.gif
LOL---No I'm not even close to fast at typing with one finger.

I used to get PMs emailed to me & I got your monthly bulletin. This was perfect.

Now I get notified every time somebody makes a post on every thread that I have made a post on. This could add up really fast! I just went over 100.

I'm glad I have a Terabyte of memory on this thing, or I'd have to stay up all night deleting emails.   
icon_mrgreen.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky